Renting with hitch.

eeboater

Commander
I need a large Vehicle (SUV / Pickup) that I can rent to tow a car trailer for a whole weekend. Have you guys ever rented a vehicle with a hitch? If so, what company did you use. I think Uhaul won't work. Because I want to drive about 250 miles with it.<br /><br />Sean

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Renting with hitch.

National Rental or U haul... They are ugly but get it done.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

uhaul rents fullsize pickups at some locations

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> uhaul rents fullsize pickups at some locations
Or they can have you one usually the next day.

eeboater

Commander

Does Avis rent trucks with hitches? I want to tow our 79 CJ7 to the Northwoods of WI.

sangerwaker

Commander

I'll check with one of my buds. He rented a full size pickup from someplace last fall to drive to Texas and pick up his boat and tow it back to MN. I'll post back EE.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

U-Haul rents trucks and car trailers.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I've seen u-haul trucks pulling u-haul trailers many times. At lease some have hitches.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Sorry EE, just checked and Avis don't rent trucks.<br />Uhaul does but don't know if they have hitches on them or not.

eeboater

Commander

Awesome Sanger -- thanks, and let me know what you find out!<br /><br />Sean

sangerwaker

Commander

Sorry EE. Haven't been able to get ahold of Jim. I'll keep trying and post back when I hear from him.

sangerwaker

Commander

Ok EE, here's the skinny.<br /><br />He rented a 3/4 ton GMC full size p/u from Thrifty rental. He doesn't recall the price, but said it was competitive with the other chains that didn't have hitches. Hopefully you have a Thrifty somewhere near you.<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />EDIT:Sean, you may need your own receiver insert and ball, though. I wouldn't expect them to supply that part. Make sure you ask.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Thrifty<br />5300 S. HOWELL AVENUE<br />GENERAL MITCHELL INTL AIRPORT<br />MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN 53207<br />UNITED STATES<br />(414) 483-5870

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

i would try the big uhaul on 79th? and Appleton.<br />Or the Ryder on 124th, 3 blocks south of Capitol Drive.<br /><br />i know these are a bit of a drive for you.<br />i would think there is someplace in the Falls that rents what you need.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Budget Truck Rental - towing equipment<br />2001 Decorah Road, West Bend, WI<br />262) 334-4210

eeboater

Commander

Thanks sanger!!<br /><br /><br />Has anyone rented from Thrifty? Is it like uhaul where they charge you 4 cents a mile or so? I'm planning on driving over 200 miles with it (400 round trip.)<br /><br />Sean

sangerwaker

Commander

I asked Jim that, Sean, and he thought it was something like that. He doesn't remember. Must be alzheimer's or something already. Jim went just under 1000 miles one way if I remember correctly. Sucks towing a boat back that far. Been there, done that. I picked mine up in Grand junction, CO and towed it back here. 1200 miles with mountains one way. YUCK

MudIsFun

Seaman

Conviently enough, I am an Airport Manager for Thrifty in Orange County, California. All of the vehicles we have in my region that are equipted with hitches are barred from use by the customer for liability reasons. We actually put a lock bar in the receiver since we do not want our vehicles used for towing. <br /><br />However, my office is a corporate store and the stores in WI are licensee (franchises) and may allow towing since they can decide what to do with their own vehicles.<br /><br />Typically, all of our vehicles come with unlimited miles but may be limited geographically to surrounding states; this you would need to check out with the renting location. <br /><br />Goto Thrifty.com, click on find locations, look up the office nearest you and give them a call.<br /><br />Kevin