Renting A Boat

Dahlia45

Cadet
I passed this by hubby. Perfect idea!! Neither of us has driven a boat before. We have been on a boat. But have never driven one. We are doing our homework. What should we start off with?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Find a rental company that still has available bookings for when you'd like to rent

Ask for a pontoon, they're safe and slow enough you won't get yourself into trouble when operating it plus lots of room for family/friends

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
I’d also suggest you both take a Safe Boater class. If you were born after 1972 I believe it’s mandatory.
In it you will learn the basics- safety, navigation aids, rules of the road, etc.

airshot

Rear Admiral
If you end up with something bigger and faster, consider renting a boat pilot for a day. Around my area ( lake erie) we have a few that will take you out on your own boat and show you how to handle everything !! I am not licensed but with my 60 yrs of boating in various sizes I gave gone out and helped family and friends get the hang of their boats. An experienced person that knows what they are doing can give you a lot if hands on knowledge in a very short time !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have taken folks out on their " new to them " sailboats.---I look at wind direction and sail the boat into the slip whenever I can.----Makes people shake their heads.

matt167

Captain
I’d also suggest you both take a Safe Boater class. If you were born after 1972 I believe it’s mandatory.
In it you will learn the basics- safety, navigation aids, rules of the road, etc.
I think renting a boat exempts the safety class. Not that anyone should avoid that class however.. you see it on posts on the NY boater law complaining because renters are exempt, ignoring the fact the course can be obtained free of charge from boatUS

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Pay close attention to any instructions your given and use common sense. It could save your life and the life of others. It’s not like driving a car and you don’t have brakes.
There are lots of videos out there of uneducated boaters. Watch a few for some pointers on what not to do.
Enjoy

roffey

Commander
Take a friend with boating experience with you... docking can be a little stressful the first couple of time

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Boats are subject to wind / current in a fluid.----Boats steer by moving the stern over.----Unlike a car that steers with the front wheels on solid ground.

Nathanvg

Cadet
The best way to learn is to go out with an experienced boater. When that's not possible, I suggest:
1. Take an online safety course. (many are free) Most of the stuff is obvious but there a few rules that are not.
2. Avoid busy waterways while learning. Weekdays are ideal and definitely don't go out on holiday weekends.
3. Avoid waterways with channels, submerged rocks or other harder to navigate features when learning.
4. Open water navigation is pretty easy to learn but docking is much harder. Plan ahead and go slow when docking. Boats do not have breaks. Smaller boats are generally easier to dock so I suggest starting with them. You can use your body to catch the dock but don't underestimate the boat's momentum and do not get your body between the dock and the boat. A good exercise is to practice docking with a stationary buoy.
5. Wind/waves, currents and other features can change day to day. Take each new day with caution.

Overall, the basics of boating come quickly so don't be intimidated but treat the situation with caution.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
First why do you want a boat? What do you plan to use it for - cruising, fishing, skiing or ? Where do you plan to use it - lakes, river, bay ocean?? You need to know those things before you settle on a specific boat.
I personally would not rent a pontoon boat as my first boat. Yes they are easy to drive and fairly maneuverable in calm conditions. But if you drive one on a windy day for the first time with no prior experience it may be a nightmare. Docking one or maneuvering one into a slip in the wind ain’t no fun. Can be very difficult. Maneuvering around other boats, objects and driving in narrow channels in the wind can be quite challenging. And if you are dealing with currents or tidal flow along with wind it will be a bad day. On a day without wind or very little wind no problem, great boat to learn and practice on.