Renken

waltonrp

Recruit
Hi, new to boating here, going out on what may be my starter boat on Saturday. It is an 87 Renken 2352 Cuddie. I have done some serious shopping around and think that the model will be a good starter for me and hopefully a good trade in next year on an upgrade.<br /><br />Can anyone tell me the scoop on Renken? I can't find them on the net or any ratings of them. Any experience is helpful!<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Rob<br />Hollywood, Fl

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Renken

Here you go...<br /><br />Renken<br />United Marine Corporation<br />P.O. Box 319<br />Watseka, IL 60970<br />815-683-2156<br /><br /> :cool:

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Currently running a 1991 20' Renken. good lake boat but terrible on the bay when it gets a little sloppy and never mind the ocean! As foneman pointed out it is made by United Marine. I dont think they call em Renkens anymore but they do call em Seasport. I also believe they call em Seahunts, and Seafox. These three hulls are practically identical. I'm used to good solid hulls like Seacraft and Wellcraft and Renken does not compare. In my opinion you have a boat that compares to Bayliner. Your boat is a fine fair weather boat. I would much rather run a 20' Seacraft than a 23' Renken! You are right that you have a good starter boat and depending on your use you may be fine. I do occasionally get caught in some slop and I just dont like the way Renken handles the water! If you got yourself a decent deal on the boat and plan to upgrade you should be fine!

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

I have a freind who bought a new Renken Cuddy several years ago. He used it about 4 times and had terrible problems with the cabin leaking water inside. Not through the hull but from rainwater, spray, etc coming in through the hatches/windows etc. The fit and finish was absolutely horrible. He got into a lengthy legal battle with Renken because they refused to stand behind their warranty. <br />Bottom Line, his Renken was one of the poorest constructed boats I've ever seen.<br /><br />If your looking at one, make sure you look for signs of leaks and interior stains. Everything below the rub rail was great, just the rest lacked quality.<br /><br />Sorry to be so negative, but I watched the Legal fight take place.<br /><br />Good Luck.<br />Nav. :(

waltonrp

Recruit

Thanks for the input. I am boing to go out on this boat tomorrow. We'll take it out in the intracoastal and then the ocean, so should get some idea how it handles. Definately going to check for signs of leakage!<br /><br />Rob,<br /><br />Hollywood, Fl