Removing Tires for Season?

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone here remove their trailer tires during the off season? <br />I usually will jack the trailer up and set the frame up on blocks to take the stress of of the axle and springs every year but was thinking that I may remove the tires and store them in the garage this winter.<br /> Any opinions? If you do remove them does anyone spray Armor All or anything on them to help prevent dry rot?

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Removing Tires for Season?

I put small jackstands with a hardwood shim under each axle close to the hub. I then leave the tires on the trailer and spray with 303. After using 303 Protectant, I don't bother with anything else.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What about putting the jack stand under the frame and taking some load off the springs?<br /><br />I was thinking of jacking up the trailer high enough to take most of the load off the tires then putting jack stands under the frame. This takes the load off the springs and tires, while giving a lot of stability.<br /><br />I have lost tires when they failed due to tread separation or blowing out long before the tread wore out. I had read that this was because of long periods sitting in one spot with a big load, like over the winter.<br /><br />Any thoughts?

NYMINUTE

Captain

Great topic, I put 2 Goodyear Marathon 8 plys on mine in July after the Carlises blew out for the 2nd time. I have 2 15" cinder blocks I plan to support the axle close to the wheel, and it should lift the tires off 2-3". I will cover them w/ RV tire covers.

Bert1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would recommend doing exactly what you planned. Removing the tires will save the rubber from UV damage. I do the same, frame on blocks and remove tire wheel assembly and store them in a dry spot for the winter. I also repack the bearings to ensure that no water got into them and potentially damage them during the winter. The bonus of this is that it acts to control theives who may be looking for a free boat.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Can't hurt anything, and would get the tire out of the weather. I try to get some weight off the tires by holding up with bricks (the springs will outlast me).<br /> I also just spray some "No Touch" tire care on, and Harbor Freight has cheap covers. And although a tire might not have a top and bottom, it damn sure has two sides. Be suprised how many people I catch only doing the outside.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

I am certain in removing the tires. <br /><br />Which one is better - trailer frame sitting on blocks or jack stand on axles?<br /><br />Thanks.

baggins1

Recruit

Originally posted by garycinn:<br /> I put small jackstands with a hardwood shim under each axle close to the hub. I then leave the tires on the trailer and spray with 303. After using 303 Protectant, I don't bother with anything else.

baggins1

Recruit

I just removed mine for the winter. I did this for a couple of reasons: It let me get the lugs off b4 they just rusted on. (I would hate to get a flat, and grunt and sweat to free up the nuts.) Also, I expose the drums...check for free spinning, etc. <br />I cleaned the posts and nuts, greased everything, and took a simple plastic trash can liner and covered the hubs up tight for the winter.

rwidman

Lieutenant

It's a good idea to use anti sieze compound on the wheel studs to keep the lugnuts from rusting on. Get it at the auto parts store.<br /><br />If you cover the hubs with plastic you may want to leave a hole in the bottom so any trapped moisture or condensation can drain out.<br /><br />Cinderblocks are less than ideal for blocking the trailer. They have been known to disintegrate under load unless the load is applied vertically (the way they are used in buildings). Jack stands (@$15.00 pr) are a much better solution. You need plywood under them if they are on asphalt or dirt so they don't sink in.<br /><br />If you block the trailer (as opposed to blocking the axles) the blocks should be as near to the axles as possible. This is where the trailer is designed to be supported. Blocking at the rear could cause the trailer to sag and possibly put pressure on the boat.