Removing the stripes

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Removing the stripes

Heat them with a Hair Dryer,+ Peel 'em Off with an Old Credit Card...........

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

3M makes a wheel for your drill with a special rubber compound that is made specifically for this application. It is 100% safe for gelcoat. Be careful if using a hair dryer or heat gun...gelcoat softens easily.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Use the hair dryer, carefully, to remove the stripes. Remove residual sticky glue with a solvent such as mineral spirits, alcohol, goof-off etc. Test the solvent in a hidden place first to make sure it doesn't damage surface. You might have to polish the spots afterwards as there might be a difference in the finish under the old stripes.

Realgun

Commander

My finger still hurts from the hairdryer. My stickers are so old they come off at a rate of an inch an hour is tiny pieces.<br /><br />Sanding them off is looking so much better. Also I have not tried the 6 inch wide ones yet.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Realgun<br /><br />You might want to try a torch on those old stripes. I had a hard time removing the wood grain vinyl from the fiberglass consols and aluminum ski racks. I finally tried a propane torch with the wide blow torch attachment (Not the pinpoint tip!) This wide flame heats up the vinyl quickly, then while still hot it is soft and can be peeled back. As soon as it cooled, it cracked and splintered. I got the technique down to get a piece started, then working the torch in front of it, kept it soft enough to peel off in 6 or 10" pieces before breaking. I never burned the fiberglass consoles. The hair drier just didn't put out the neat needed to soften for old dried vinyl.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have used an electric heat gun with great results. It seams to be somewhere between a hair dryer and a torch, I purchased mine at Sears hardware.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by waterone1:<br /> I have used an electric heat gun with great results. It seams to be somewhere between a hair dryer and a torch, I purchased mine at Sears hardware.
Im actually in the process of doing this today as we speak. Im using a heat gun also, and they are coming off so easy, it would make some people sick. They are from 1981 and are coming off with the glue and all. :D :D :D

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

I did one half of my boat with a heat gun we use on heat srink. It worked well. Then my brother came over with the 3m wheel that stratocaster is talking about and did the otherside in about 15 minutes. no sore fingers either. That wheel is pricey though and it burns up at a pretty fast rate.

Realgun

Commander

Ah another tool the wifes going to kill me! Dead this time!

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

I recommended a hair dryer, but actually use a heat gun, which is hotter and requires a little more carefulness.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

For those in Canada .... dual 1000/1500W gun on sale at Canadian Tire this week. Original poster was from Quebec...not sure if that sale applies there or not. <br /><br />iboatsMall sells a premium version, most likely better quality.

Boatdrinks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep...careful use of a heat gun followed by goof off for any residual adhesive always works for me! On boats and trucks!