Removing the cylinder head on a 1991 140hp johnson.

boating maniac

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well it looks like im going to have to remove the cylinder head to get the thermostat seal out thats stuck in there. I have a few questions.

1. Are the head bolts reusable?

2. What are the torque specs for the head bolts?

3. Does the head gasket need to be replaced when I do this? I'm assuming it does.

4. And most importantly what pattern do I tighten them up in?

Thanks!

1991 johnson 140hp VJ140TLEID is the model number.

boating maniac

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Removing the cylinder head on a 1991 140hp johnson.

Do I need a specific sized head gasket if the engine has been bored out once already or does that not matter?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

1. Are the head bolts reusable?
Yes...
2. What are the torque specs for the head bolts?
18-22 ft lbs
3. Does the head gasket need to be replaced when I do this? I'm assuming it does.
Yes...
4. And most importantly what pattern do I tighten them up in?
You start in the middle and work your way out following the numbers cast into the head next to bolts. Do it in a 2 step method such as 10 ft lbs for the first time and 20 ft lbs as the final.
Do I need a specific sized head gasket if the engine has been bored out
No... I told ya these where a b***h to replace, the fun just starting.!!!!

boating maniac

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I finally got an opportunity to work on this thing. It took forever for the head gasket I ordered to come due to the holidays. I ran into a little problem. Luckily I realized the issue before I started but does the powerhead need to be removed to take off the head bolts? because it looks like there isn't really enought room for them to come out. Ateast the ones at the bottom. I just thought of this. Is that bottom section that the cowling sits on removable? I bet it is. Too bad I didn't think about that at the time.