Removing Sticky Paint

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow, I hope someone can help me with this one. The previous owner of my 66 Larson all american had the boat painted for cheap. Obviously from someone who doesn't have a clue about painting anything except an old wooden go cart that you push down a hill. Here is the deal. they painted red over red. Now get this, on a warm sunny day or on a humid day the top layer of paint is sticky and I mean like tacky. In one spot near the engine doghouse where the latch is it is actually gummed up and has rubbed off on the top boot. I looked close and to my dismay I think they used a brush and I actually think it might be latex. Can you believe that? If I take my finger nail I can scrape it off in cpots. How do I remove this layer to get at the original and then wet sand. The previous owner removed a bunch with a scour pad on the outside but the interior fiberglass is still a mess. HELP!!!

Jakebob

Seaman
Re: Removing Sticky Paint

Try a little heat from a heat gun and a plastic scraper/putty knife. They also sell graffiti remover at Lowe's or HD. We've used it to get down to original paint on some car projects. Just test in a hidden area first.

opalized

Seaman Apprentice

Scotch Brite pad and water, if its that gummy (Scrotch Brite = kitchen scrunge) they sell them at the automotive paint store.
If there are large areas that are flat, a 2 dollar scraper from home depot, lowes, the kind you put razor blades in like carpet blade, small but works, if there are really long flat areas, a carpet scraper with 4 to 6 inch razor blades made for the tool work great again Lowes, working it deliberately will take the top coat right off, back to good material sand prime and paint

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the engine doghouse could I use a pressure washer being careful to only remove the crappy coat?

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would try paint thinner - sounds like the paint never cured properly. Does it smell like petroleum based paint?

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I want to remove the nasty stuff but not ruin the gelcoat underneat in hopes of compounding the original once all the goop is gone.
What a pain!

Swivelhart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went out to the shed today where I set the engine doghouse and took some carb cleaner and a rag and gave it a whirl. Sprayed a nice shot on the nasty paint, took the rag, and wiped it right off! I,m stoked! I will do this on all the sticky stuff and then try wet sanding the original finish to a luster. Or would heavy compound be better. It is super faded!

ghamby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try the compound first. If that doesn't work try some really fine wet sand paper. Start around 1500 grit or finer. If you don't get results work your way
down a little courser. Once it's all smooth and even work your way back up to
the compound. GH