removing seat box on maxum

swl

Seaman
I would like to get rid of the front/back seats on my 89 maxum 17 foot open bow. I wanna put in single captain chairs to free up some space, the boat is used primarily for fishing. Is the deck a solid piece under those seat boxes? Or should I just cut them halfway down, and mount the seats to the flat part that is already there. This would be ok, but it would be cool to have the deck totally flat so nobody would trip over what would be left of the seat bases. What I mean by "solid piece" is, is there a big rectangular hole where the bases are, or is it flat under there?

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Re: removing seat box on maxum

It should be flat deck under the seat boxes. However, you are going to have to reinforce the deck (either under or on top) for the captains chairs.

swl

Seaman

Thanks seville. I thought it would be flat underneath, just wasnt sure. Was checkin out lots of threads on here where people have redone their deck and posted photos. Some had the seat bases removed and it was a flat piece underneath, but I didnt know if it came that way or they did it themselves. I drilled a hole through the top of the seat base to have a look and all I found was flotation foam. You think under that foam its just deck? I could take the base off and know for sure, but I figured there would be someone on here that already had done it and knew for sure

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Hey SWL, My seat boxes were full of flotation foam and sitting on top of flat (rotted) decking. If for some reason, yours isn't solid decking below, you can always just glass in some properly sealed/glassed ply to fill the void. It seems like that might actually be better since it would give you the chance to add support for the captains chairs underneath the deck rather than on top.