Removing/Replacing Aerator Pump

airmerky33

Recruit
I've recently purchased a 1999 Bass Tracker Pro Team 175. There seems to be some issues with the aerator pump. When the switch is turned on...nothing happens. I've tested it and the pump IS receiving electricity. I've tried to remove the pump, but it WILL NOT COME OUT! It is being held in place by a metal bracket that is riveted onto the boat. I've tried everything to get the pump out...twisting, pushing, pulling. I can't believe how hard it is to remove the pump and the metal bracket makes the process even more frustrating. Design flaw? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

FrenchFryRig

Recruit
Re: Removing/Replacing Aerator Pump

I have a 1998 Tracker Pro 185. I was able to remove the Rule 500 aerator yesterday afternoon. It was freezing up, and needed to be replaced. First of all if you have big arms, get someone with smaller arms to reach down to the aerator. I removed the hose from the top of the aerator first, then removed the 2 hoses that connect to the black livewell open/close valve under the aerator. Then I grabbed onto the aerator and bent the bracket up, not straight up, but at a 45 degree angle. Then I was able to unscrew the aerator from the open/close valve. Then cut your 2 aerator wires, remove it from the boat and buy a new one. When I install the new pump later this week, I'm planning on not using the metal bracket. I'm thinking that with it connected to the open/close valve and with the other hose, it should work. I used a nut driver to loosen the hose clamps, not a screw driver. If you drill out the rivets on the bracket, be sure to seal those holes, because they come out of the bottom of the boat. I plan on checking my hoses in the future to be sure they are not coming loose, since I'm not going to use the bracket.

P.S. I would like to slap the engineer that designed the way the aerator is connected.

airmerky33

Recruit
Re: Removing/Replacing Aerator Pump

Thanks very much for your response...I will give it a try !!! :)