Removing remnants of elbow to manifold gasket on still attached manifold

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Changing my elbow to manifold gaskets on my 2002 5.0 MPI (0M345638). I wasn't going to change the manifold to block gasket so the manifold is still attached. This is my first time doing this. This may be a dumb question but how careful do I need to be when scrapping off the remnants of the old gasket in not getting debris down into the manifold? What's the best way to stop this from happening? Stuff a rag into the opening and have a vacuum on standby?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Using a gasket scraper you can mostly get it to fall off the side. I end with a large file to make sure the surface is flat. Probably best to keep big pieces out, but small stuff will flow right out the exhaust.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Changing my elbow to manifold gaskets on my 2002 5.0 MPI (0M345638). I wasn't going to change the manifold to block gasket so the manifold is still attached. This is my first time doing this. This may be a dumb question but how careful do I need to be when scrapping off the remnants of the old gasket in not getting debris down into the manifold? What's the best way to stop this from happening? Stuff a rag into the opening and have a vacuum on standby?
Stuff a large rag or wad of paper towels in the exhaust opening while you are scraping. Rick is steering you straight on what to use and how to make sure it is flat when you regasket it, just takes a little birt of elbow grease to get it done.