Removing oil paint from fibreglass

dougrie

Seaman Apprentice
I inherited a boat a couple of years back - 5m cabin cruiser, fibreglass hull, looks a little like a Shetland but it's not quite a match. No idea what model it actually is. As far as I can tell it's a 1960s hull so presumably some variation on polyester? Anyway, previous owners had painted it with oil based gloss as the gel coat had long since departed. I'd like now to strip it back to the glass, fill the various little scars it has, then repaint with 2 part or maybe apply gel.

First challenge is how to remove the old paint. Any suggestions? Are there chemical stripping formulas out there that won't affect polyester resin? I reckon there's about 30 square meters (320 sq ft) of exterior surface to deal with.

Next question is, what would you recommend for filling minor damage in a polyester hull? And finally - should I choose gel or 2 part? I've not gel'd before, willing to learn, but conscious of my lack of experience.

The boat is kept dry berthed most of the time, though does sometimes spend a few days in the water before retrieval at our marina.

Thanks in advance for your experience and wisdom, iboaters!

Attachments

• 1000017313.jpg
    1000017313.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There are paint strippers for fiberglass. They tend to be weak enough not to harm the Fg, but just strong enough to soften the paint. I have never had a lot of luck with them.

If the paint is sound, simply sand it smooth and repaint with a good polyurethane marine paint. A 1 part paint like Brightside is fine for above waterline. You would need a 2 part polyurethane paint for below waterline, for boats kept in the water.

dougrie

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks. Unfortunately the paint really isn't very sound - the photo I posted was at the start of the 2021 season; it looks rather the worse for wear by the time the summer months wear by!

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
if the integrity of the paint on there is ok ,IE: not falling off when pressure washed , my suggestion would be to repair the areas that need it , coat the entire hull with hi fill epoxy primer and then top coat in 2 k epoxy enamel .

if it is coming off with pressure washer , keep going till it stops coming off :)."" stripping done .

dougrie

Seaman Apprentice
if the integrity of the paint on there is ok ,IE: not falling off when pressure washed , my suggestion would be to repair the areas that need it , coat the entire hull with hi fill epoxy primer and then top coat in 2 k epoxy enamel .

if it is coming off with pressure washer , keep going till it stops coming off :)."" stripping done .
So I guess the idea is, if it's secure enough for the primer, the epoxy will keep it from the effects of immersion?