Removing my first outboard motor...

_brad_

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all,

So I'm going to be removing my first outboard from a boat today. Its a 70 HP Evinrude with controls.

My question is, do you break the controls loose at the motor, or at the controls?

Thanks,
Brad

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: Removing my first outboard motor...

Hey all,

So I'm going to be removing my first outboard from a boat today. Its a 70 HP Evinrude with controls.

My question is, do you break the controls loose at the motor, or at the controls?

Thanks,
Brad

yes, at the motor...

what is your plan of attack? after removing and attaching many smaller (50 hp) outboards via brute force... 2 guys lifting off and setting on ground... this last time we got smart. we used a come a long on the garage rafters to lift and lower it. worked pretty good.

_brad_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all!

Regarding the plan of attack, I'm thinking of using the 2x4's running across my garage ceiling to "hoist" the motor up or at least hold the motor airborn while i break the bolts loose, and then gently lower to the ground...

Maybe? Maybe not?

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks all!

Regarding the plan of attack, I'm thinking of using the 2x4's running across my garage ceiling to "hoist" the motor up or at least hold the motor airborn while i break the bolts loose, and then gently lower to the ground...

Maybe? Maybe not?

Not sure, but the 2x4's may be a little wimpy. If you do use them try to get as close to the outer end of the 2x4 as possible. Depending on the type of truss (or whether you even have trusses) you may be too heavy.

TerryMSU

_brad_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmm.. That's kind of what I was worried about.. I will have to check it when I get home..

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

At 230 LBS you and a buddy just lift it off.................

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Make sure your rafters will take the load...inspect them and maybe put a couple of 2X4 uprights under them on either side of the motor to help them take the load. Another way to do it is to build a motor stand with caster wheels...keep it handy nearby and then raise the trailer tongue until the motor skeg contacts the ground. Loosen and remove the bolts in the motor clamp and have someone or a pair of someones hold the motor upright while someone else raises the trailer tongue until the motor is clear of the transom. Roll the boat/trailer away and put the stand under the motor, or let it down gently...carb side up. The come-along, chain and big tree limb option is another good way to do it.

Andy in NY

Commander

ive actually been thinking about building an outboard lifting hoist... using the concrete blocks that you can put a 4x4 in, 2 vertical 4x4, 1 horizontal, then a few 2x4 off the vertical 4x4s for stability, then use a come a long...

eavega

Lieutenant

I needed to lift off my 50 HP and leave it in place. My solution was to use a heavy-duty aluminum free-standing ladder. I rigged up my ratchet straps (2K Lb capacity) on the top steps, then winched the motor up until it was free of the transom.

I actually used the same technique fairly recently to lift my boat off of the trailer. Rigged the ratchet strap to the bow eye, winched it up until it supported, then dropped the trailer down. Worked like a champ again.

-E

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Depending on the span, be careful and if they are trusses be extra careful. If possible lay a 8' 4x4 across 3-4 of the bottom cords and use the 4x4 as your lifting point to at least spread the weight out across a number of the trusses. Or use some deadmen under the 2x4's while the load is on them, then remove once the motor is on a stand.

Surfer Dave

Seaman Apprentice

I think that they have a eyelit that screws on to the crank that you can use to lift the motor using an engine hoist. That is what I did when I changed my motor from my old boat to the new one, it was a piece of cake.

Andy in NY

Commander

I think that they have a eyelit that screws on to the crank that you can use to lift the motor using an engine hoist. That is what I did when I changed my motor from my old boat to the new one, it was a piece of cake.

there should be a perminant one. all the outboards ive owned have had one.