removing lower unit of '91 Johnson 40hp

lpohl

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 9, 2001
Messages
2
I would like to remove the lower unit of a '91 Johnson 40hp. Could someone describe in detail how to disconnect the shift linkage?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />lpohl
 

clanton

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jul 9, 2001
Messages
4,876
Re: removing lower unit of '91 Johnson 40hp

Locate shift lever on engine on stb side,you should see a hitch pin(same as on farm tractor) only smaller, remove pin push shaft inward should release shift rod. Remove starter to see connector.
 

lpohl

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 9, 2001
Messages
2
Re: removing lower unit of '91 Johnson 40hp

Clanton,<br />Many thanks for your reply on getting the lower unit off my 91 johnson 40hp. Forgive me, but I must be missing something. I removed the pin from the linkage which goes from the external shift lever to the pivoting lever that is held next to the engine crank case by a 7/16" bolt. With the pin off and the linkage pushed through, this permits the lever to rotate further forward and the lower unit drops another 1/2 inch but the lower unit still does not come off. I need to figure out how to release the internal rod or whatever that connects this pivoting lever down to the shifting mechanism in the lower unit. I hope I'm describing the mechanism accurately. Any further advice??? Thanks again.<br /><br />lpohl
 

clanton

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jul 9, 2001
Messages
4,876
Re: removing lower unit of '91 Johnson 40hp

Whwn you remove the pin, push in on shaft, shaft should move inward about 3/4 inch. The bell crank under carbuator is split, when you push in on shaft the bell crank moves apart,and releases the shift rod, You are not the only that has a hard time getting this thing apart. Will have to push gearcase up against housing for slack. I like to remove starter then you can see the bell crank. the pin is about 2 inches long.
 

clanton

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jul 9, 2001
Messages
4,876
Re: removing lower unit of '91 Johnson 40hp

Whwn you remove the pin, push in on shaft, shaft should move inward about 3/4 inch. The bell crank under carbuator is split, when you push in on shaft the bell crank moves apart,and releases the shift rod, You are not the only that has a hard time getting this thing apart. Will have to push gearcase up against housing for slack. I like to remove starter then you can see the bell crank. the pin is about 2 inches long.
 
Top