Removing Flywheel?? 9.5hp Evinrude

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi again!, I just got back with all the seals for my lower end, and while I was at the parts counter the guy recommended a points kit. I'm hoping once I get the flywheel off I won't need coils also. Question is..... is there a trick to removing the flywheel. I've removed the nut, but it won't budge. It's getting a good soak of WD40 right now. Can you use the threaded holes in it to force it off? Do I need a giant gear puller? please help It's a 1965 9.5 hp Evinrude sportwin model 9522c

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Removing Flywheel?? 9.5hp Evinrude

There are some great threads here with details on exactly how to do it, but you are on the right track. Get a gear puller and some grade 8 hardened bolts that fit into the threaded holes. Tighten it up after soaking it in penetrant and then tap the center bolt with a hammer occasionally. It should pop (loudly) off.

Hardened bolts are a must or you will strip the bolt holes and REALLY have problems.

Good luck.

James R

Commander

Pulling the flywheel is no biggie. You need an harmonic balancer puller and the three correct size bolts. Make sure the bolts are designated type 8 or better. You will need good thick washers to cover the slots in the puller. I have always used my impact wrench to activate the puller. If the flywheel doesnt budge take a hammer and give the puller bolt a whack on the end.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Just be sure to pull with the holes in the center - they are hidden under the aluminum plate on the 9.5.

Attachments

• Flywheel.jpg
    Flywheel.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Keep the nut threaded on a few turns to keep the wheel & tools from flying off too!

MAS

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

PULLING FLYWHEEL

you need a harmonic balancer puller, you need 3 - #8 harden bolts, that fit the 3 holes in your flywheel. standard hardware store bolts will strip out, causing more problems. loosen the flywheel nut, leaving it on so it protects the thread. thread the bolts in 7/16 of an inch. then tighten the puller, adjust so it has a straight pull. now tighten the puller, rap the center bolt with a hammer, then tighten some more. you may have to let it sit over nite, and repeat in the morning. this is a compression fitting, it will eventually POP!!. do not loose the woodruff key that goes in the groove of the flywheel and the crank shaft. then installing the flywheel, it has to be totally clean, no oil, woodruff key in place. then torque the nut to the specifications for your particular motor. if you do not do this, the woodruff key with shear, and you will be repeating these steps.

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the tips everyone.....now I guess I'll find out if I need coils also. This is a fun project though. I'm also stripping the motor down to the metal, as someone has given it the ugliest shade of blue you could imagine. I'm either going with the original metallic blue, or more likely olive drab, as this motor is bound for waterfowling. Thanks again, P