Removing Clear Coat off Gel Coat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sojasyin

Cadet
I recently bought a 1980 16' Bass Boat. I'm in the restoration process (carpet, wiring, etc). I have the boat stripped down and have a problem. The guy who owned the boat before me, put a thick coat of "Clear" over the top of the Gel coat. It's now flaking in some areas, and really looks bad. I need advice on how to remove all of this "clear" coating off the gel coat without damaging it.

Thank You!:)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Removing Clear Coat off Gel Coat?

I need advice on how to remove all of this "clear" coating off the gel coat without damaging it.

Ayuh,... Good Luck with that,...
My guess is, the gelcoat was already damaged, which is why it was shot with clear coat...
If it's a metal flake gelcoat, you'll be way ahead to just sand it smooth, 'n paint it...

Go Aweigh2452

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SOunds like he used an acrylic clear coat. Before sanding, try some commercial floor wax stripper on a small area and see if it lifts it. If its acrylic, the stripper will remove it with little effort. From what you've said, is sounds like a worn out application of acrylic that needs to be removed. Please try the commercial floor was remover BEFORE you start sanding!

The floor wax remover won't hurt the gelcoat and if its actually a paint it won't hurt that either. This stuff strips acrylic "waxes".

sojasyin

Cadet

Thank you. I'm new to iboats and love this site. I'm going to try the floor wax remover before I sand. I'll try and post pics if this works out to assist others. Thanks again.

PKomrowski

Petty Officer 3rd Class

clearing over gel coat is actualy a good idia, it makes it last a long time and can make it look great. There are many builders that clear over gel to make it much better than gel alone. If I were you, I would fix the flaking... Now Im assuming they have used the right clear coat on it, if they didn't all bets are off. But if they have used the right type of clear, (some are not made to be submersed and should not be, but are great for above the water line) then DA the spots and respray it and buff, real easy and far better than gel alone!

sojasyin

Cadet

My concern with applying more "clear coat" is that I may run into this problem again. My hope is to get it all removed, and then use a poly glo, or something like it. It's an older boat, but I want to shine up the "retro" color scheme it has on the top side only. Bottom paint and Hull restoration will come this winter. Thanks for everyones help, advice and suggestions!

sojasyin

Cadet

Commercial floor wax isn"t working. I tried medium to heavy applications. Its got a beautiful metal flake gel coat underneath that seems to be in great shape, but this clear coat has been sitting on it for a couple years and is making the entire top side cloudy and dull looking. Any other suggestions at this point? Surely there is something that will take this junk off without me having to sand the entire boat. I'm not looking to repaint, just wanting this "clear coat" off. I talked to the previous owner and he said the gel coat was fine, he just wanted a "wet" look to it, but then stored it outside for a few years and never did anything to maintain it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Wet sand, or find out what he used and try to find a stripper that will work on it, but not damage the gel coat.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

clearing over gel coat is actualy a good idia, it makes it last a long time and can make it look great. There are many builders that clear over gel to make it much better than gel alone. If I were you, I would fix the flaking... Now Im assuming they have used the right clear coat on it, if they didn't all bets are off. But if they have used the right type of clear, (some are not made to be submersed and should not be, but are great for above the water line) then DA the spots and respray it and buff, real easy and far better than gel alone!

Using clear over gel coat that is in otherwise good condition is almost never a good idea, and I don't ever see it being done in production.

Clear gel coats are used with metal flake, but in few other applications because it adds steps and money with no benefit. Actually it creates problems just like it does on aged metal flake by yellowing and deteriorating with no way to easily make it look good again.

Clears may give a deeper look to start with, but over lighter colors it will turn yellow and look bad and no amount of sanding or buffing will help. It isn?t as noticeable over darker colors.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

If the clear is failing get it all off.
Use paint stripper made for boats.
It will work fine.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Your kinda in a pickle situation here...

Your wanting to get this crap clear off without damaging the gel clear..thats no easy task.

Sure you can wet sand it..but It will be hard to tell when your done sanding said crap clear off.

You could try dry sanding and it might be easier to follow that coat edge..but it would take forever..

You could try a stripper..and on the outside chance the PO was BSing you and there were a few spots where the gel clear had worn away to the flake ( and thats why he decided to clear it because he couldnt buff it ) then your screwed and now end up painting it anyways.

You could do what Bondo suggested and just remove the failing clear..scuff the rest and prep/paint with a solid.

You could also prep/prime and coat it with some High end Imron/Awlgrip metallic paint.

I know what your wanting..and I do feel your pain.. But its just Way too hard to suggest plan A when there are so many variables.

I can tell you right now that just trying to sand down to OEM gel and buff it is going to be a very delicate process ( even a pro would have a hard time ).

Id blow some paint on there and be done with it personally..but thats also without seeing it physically..

YD.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are many builders that clear over gel to make it much better than gel alone.

Uhhh, which ones would that be ... :facepalm:

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah I tried like mad to restore the gel/ flake under the clear on mine and yep there was a reason they put it on.
Soon to be painting.

sojasyin

Cadet

Finally!! I found what works. After a week of trying Floor Strippers, sanding and scraping. I found a product called "Auto-Strip". It comes in an aerosol spray can and has a foam like application. I'm spraying it on, lettting it sit for 15-20 minutes. The "clear-coat" is bubbling and curling up off the gel coat. I then take a flexible scraper, and lightly scrape off the clear coat. I've been able to get about 1/2 of my top side done without any damage to the gel coat. Of course, once I am finished, I will want to restore the gel coat with a little elbow grease, buffing, and compound. I bought the product at a local auto parts shop. I've been taking pictures as my restoration continues. Thanks to everyone for the advice, the critiques, and opinions. Every posting on here helped me figure this out.

Beardbuster

Recruit

Finally!! I found what works. After a week of trying Floor Strippers, sanding and scraping. I found a product called "Auto-Strip". It comes in an aerosol spray can and has a foam like application. I'm spraying it on, lettting it sit for 15-20 minutes. The "clear-coat" is bubbling and curling up off the gel coat. I then take a flexible scraper, and lightly scrape off the clear coat. I've been able to get about 1/2 of my top side done without any damage to the gel coat. Of course, once I am finished, I will want to restore the gel coat with a little elbow grease, buffing, and compound. I bought the product at a local auto parts shop. I've been taking pictures as my restoration continues. Thanks to everyone for the advice, the critiques, and opinions. Every posting on here helped me figure this out.

That's my problem now lol where did you purchase Auto-Strip?

Status
Not open for further replies.