Removing Carpet Adhesive

bassmani

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All,
I did a restore. Used some of that Cheap Lowes Carpet and it has seeped through my carpet. Adhesive has been dry over a couple months ago. Would like to know what is the best way to remove the adhesive now?

thx

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Removing Carpet Adhesive

probably nothing without damaging the carpet.

erikgreen

Captain

Once the adhesive dries about the only way to remove it is mechanically... IE a scraper or grinder. Sorry.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

iv been removing carpet glue outta my boat with turpentine let it sit on there for a min then scrap with a putty knife

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have used Goof Off for alot of adhesive removal.

GOOF20OFF20LINEUP.jpg

Jason

Mwp909

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just did the same thing last week. I tried everything from goof off to Henry outdoor carpet glue remover (sold at Lowes) and Turpentine. If you?re like me, you?re trying to save the carpet. I found it wont work I had to replace the bad spot with another piece. I used acetone and a putty knife to remove my carpet and glue. It will remove 90% of the glue with just scraping.

bassmani

Seaman Apprentice

thanks all. Sorry for a late reply. Looks like i am going to have to replace the carpet. problem was cheap lowes carpet and it seeped through.
it's also my fault as well.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

might give a try with xylene(s), often sold as xylol in hardware stores. Too much of it';s not so good for your nervous system, so wouldn't do it in closed space with your face right in it if you catch my drift (not death in a can, just better to err on the side of caution rather than to start seeing funny lights and going numb....). it shouldn't destroy the carpet and will actually dissolve / break up the adhesive a bit with some time. oh, and it'll dissolve most disposible latex and rubber gloves. get the good ones...

adhesive tape

Recruit

thanks all. Sorry for a late reply. Looks like i am going to have to replace the carpet. problem was cheap lowes carpet and it seeped through.
it's also my fault as well.

Ok...Thanks for that info.. In future these removers may help you, if you face the same problem.

acehardware.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=1260468

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used a metal scraper and rubber mallet or heel of my hand. Now I see Harbor Freight, Sears, and others make a vibrating scraper. It's just the thing I was screaming for while I was expressing expetives with my old carpet adhesive.