Removing black spots on vinyl seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
These spots form usually when covered, probably a form of mold, had no luck in the past with the regular removal products. Is there anything new out there this year? Meyby havnt tried the correct product either. I just uncovered my pontoon boat here in Mi. where its been very wet, rain. Its worse this spring. Its not spider or bug poop. Any suggestions appreciated.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
There is really NO method to remove the stain. A MILD Bleach solution, applied multiple times over a week or so. Problem is the Protective sealer of the vinyl has been compromised and the mold/stain has penetrated to the cloth backing and therefore it's not gunna come out. It will get better with time but...It's there until you reupholster it.

Jerry200LX

Seaman Apprentice
Try Starbrite Mildew Stain Remover. If it won't remove it, the stain is probably permanent. I never recommend bleach because if the solution is too strong it will harm the thread in the seams and your upholstery will come apart. Seen it happen often.

chevymaher

Commander
No Title

Simple green. Bucket of hot water 1/2 quart of simple green. Yellow and green kitchen scrubber pad. Took about 3 hours to do this.

Attachments

• photo261540.jpg
    photo261540.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 10
  • photo262347.jpg
    photo262347.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 10

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The simple green approach is impressive- thanks- the bleach is too harsh, could see burning the barn to get the cat, also white droppings on the carpet. I had heard of a "black spot remover" for marine use but searched to no avail. Simple green it is.

hockeynut19

Cadet
These spots form usually when covered, probably a form of mold, had no luck in the past with the regular removal products. Is there anything new out there this year? Meyby havnt tried the correct product either. I just uncovered my pontoon boat here in Mi. where its been very wet, rain. Its worse this spring. Its not spider or bug poop. Any suggestions appreciated.
A friend told me about Mold Armor sold at Walmart. Works great just don't get it on your clothes. Apply leave it set for about 5 minutes and wipe away with a damp cloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.