Removing bearing buddies

sidechoke67

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is my first Spring with my new boat. I wanted to pull the bearing buddies off, just to inspect and re-pack the trailer bearings. I tried "walking" the bearing buddies off with a 4X4 and a hammer, but, so far, those things haven't moved. I'm starting off pretty easy - but figured I'd check with the folks here before going nuts with the hammer....

For those of you that remove bearing buddies periodically, how hard do you hammer the sides to get them off. Any other tricks or advice to get them off.

Thanks!

beermunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Removing bearing buddies

This is my first Spring with my new boat. I wanted to pull the bearing buddies off, just to inspect and re-pack the trailer bearings. I tried "walking" the bearing buddies off with a 4X4 and a hammer, but, so far, those things haven't moved. I'm starting off pretty easy - but figured I'd check with the folks here before going nuts with the hammer....

For those of you that remove bearing buddies periodically, how hard do you hammer the sides to get them off. Any other tricks or advice to get them off.

Thanks!

Take them off with force - a chain attached to a tractor if you have to - and leave them off. Get normal dust caps and be done with BB. Those things are trash.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Take them off with force - a chain attached to a tractor if you have to - and leave them off. Get normal dust caps and be done with BB. Those things are trash.

whoa. Someone had a bad experience it sounds like. lots of positivie feedback on here for BB's...

For removing them, it takes quite a bit of force. And putting them back on is the same also. U really gotta give em a good crack...Sometimes i use a 2x4 because you can get a better angle depending on the situation. Is the wheel off? try that, jacking it up and taking the wheel off first if you can. the trailer has to be really secure though, i would use a jackstand and a jack under it before pounding on it.

beermunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

whoa. Someone had a bad experience it sounds like. lots of positivie feedback on here for BB's...

For removing them, it takes quite a bit of force. And putting them back on is the same also. U really gotta give em a good crack...Sometimes i use a 2x4 because you can get a better angle depending on the situation. Is the wheel off? try that, jacking it up and taking the wheel off first if you can. the trailer has to be really secure though, i would use a jackstand and a jack under it before pounding on it.

Two too many holes in the dust caps that let water in. I've had nothing but issues with bearing buddies on my Whaler Trailer. Switched back to cheap dust caps and surprisingly no issues.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Two too many holes in the dust caps that let water in. I've had nothing but issues with bearing buddies on my Whaler Trailer. Switched back to cheap dust caps and surprisingly no issues.

dust caps??? what? the rubber "bras" as BB would call them? is that what you are referring to? ive used BBs for 15 years now...no probs that i didnt bring upon myself...

reelfishin

Captain

Get your self a good urethane or dead blow mallet, give the BB a crack on the side working your way around as you turn the wheel. It'll slowly work it's way off.

If a bearing buddy is well maintained, and kept clean, they will work fine. If their neglected and rusted, then they are of no use.
I've had many of older trailers with nothing more than a grease fitting in the dust cap that worked fine, but I kept them filled with grease. Any negative pressure, (IE: Dunking the trailer) will let water rush into the bearings). A BB keeps minor pressure on the bearing lube to keep the water out.

If you really sure your bearing caps are sealed, as well as your wheel seals, then you may be fine, but most are not that tight of a seal.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

the spring in BB's tends to fail especially in salt water, get Posi-Lube hubs, they work better anyways.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'll take a little different approach here and suggest you simply leave them alone, at least for now. If it is a new boat, as in factory new, you shouldn't have to remove them. All you need to do is check the depth of the cap on the BB every time you head out. If it starts moving in towards the hub, then it's time to add some grease (but be careful not to over fill or a seal might fail).

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I'll take a little different approach here and suggest you simply leave them alone, at least for now. If it is a new boat, as in factory new, you shouldn't have to remove them. All you need to do is check the depth of the cap on the BB every time you head out. If it starts moving in towards the hub, then it's time to add some grease (but be careful not to over fill or a seal might fail).

This is the best post so far...they are new, so just check the spring pressure as suggested. Also, when mine eventually give up the ghost, I too am going to the Posi Lubes as capt sam mentioned. Nothing but good reports on those.

JB25VIP

Seaman

to get the bb off, jack up the wheel, take a block of wood and a hammer and start hitting the outside edge of the bearing buddy while turning the wheel slowly until it works its way off,

When using the block of wood don't worry about hurting any thing, hit that thing as hard as you need to until she pops off.

one word of advice, when re-installing the bb don't spare the force when knocking it back onto the hub (with the block of wood again). i've lost a few bearing buddies over the years, i guess because they were not tightly seated in the hub and they are not cheap to replace. so i show no mercy when beating it back on.

Happy boating