removing and replaceing floor and trasom on a 1969 larson. HELP!!!!!!!

ezra55

Recruit
Im working on a 17 foot Larson Lap line boat. great shape other then for the fact that the whole floor and trasom was rotten. i was told by a boat building outfit here in town that i should remove all the foam from the boat. And then what? the foam is what supports the floor and im not into boating enough to figure out what to do to stiffen up the bottom of the boat. I am hoping that someone might be able to give me some ideas.

Attachments

• DSC00249.jpg
    DSC00249.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00228.jpg
    DSC00228.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer
Re: removing and replaceing floor and trasom on a 1969 larson. HELP!!!!!!!

you will have to remove the floor, and all wood underneath it, and replace it all and glass it back.

If you arent in love with the boat, take anything worth any value off, and toss it, or give it to someone up for a project, and buy a better hull or complete boat.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's possible to do all the rebuilding yourself (many people on these forums have, me included); but if you're not up to it, you need to do as legoman said. It's a goner (to you) but to the next guy, it's a project.

Unless you don't have a paying job, sticking with that boat means you're out for about 1/2 the summer. Full rebuilds take a few months using spare time and weekends.

ezra55

Recruit

It's possible to do all the rebuilding yourself (many people on these forums have, me included); but if you're not up to it, you need to do as legoman said. It's a goner (to you) but to the next guy, it's a project.

Unless you don't have a paying job, sticking with that boat means you're out for about 1/2 the summer. Full rebuilds take a few months using spare time and weekends.

Well I'm into this project to far now and the boat itself really doesn't look all that bad. besides its something i have never done before and i think it will be a blast to try. I just wanted to know what methods to try and how i might be able to do most of the work on my own. This type of boat used mostly Foam as a stiffener rather then for stringers for support like i have seen in most of the other rebuilds so i was just trying to figure out how rework the hull to give it the support it needs without having to go back to using foam.