Removing an isolator

Haywood123

Seaman
When I bought my boat it came with a Guest model 2401 isolator, which seams to work fine keeping the starting and trolling batteries charge, but I am switching to a 24V trolling system and going with an onboard charger, so I want to remove the isolator. The following picture shows how it is attached to my 1992 Evinrude 150 intruder, with the white wire splicing in and running to the isolator and then the other 2 wires from the isolator going to the positive terminals on the batteries with the negative terminals are grounded together. My question is, will simply removing the white wire and pulling the isolator and disconnecting the tie between the negatives be all I need to do to separate the starting and trolling systems and will the starting battery still continue to be charged from the alternator or was there something else done somewhere else down the wiring that I will have to hook back up?isolator.jpg

Haywood123

Seaman
Re: Removing an isolator

just in case the first picture was a little too zoomed in. It's the only white wire in the picture
isolator1.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Something seems amiss in that system. It appears the white wire is spliced into one of the yellow wires which probably come from the stator. The RED wire is the output of the rectifier/regulator and would normally go to the starter solenoid terminal on which the large red battery cable is attached. That red wire would then have been disconnected and extended to the input of the isolator. But since I can't be certain how or where that white wire is connected, a positive response is not possible. However, if the red wire is still attached to the solenoid as I described, then the white wire can be removed. You then disconnect the jumper between the two battery NEGATIVE terminals and the individual wires from the POSITIVE terminals on each battery. The starting battery will be charged through the red wire, to the solenoid, through the large red battery cable to the battery. But you need to verify that the red wire is indeed still connected.

Haywood123

Seaman

The red wire is still connected. Both wires from the isolator were actually going to the trolling battery. Is it possible that the isolator was spliced in and being used as a DC charger and that the starting battery was always being charged from the motor?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

DC charging is what a charging system is. 12 volts DC is what comes OUT of the regulator and charges the battery. In this case both batteries were being charged but the troller was being charged through BOTH lines from the isolator. No advantage in doing that since the output is the same whether one line is used or both. So to answer the original question, totally remove the white wire from the engine. Disconnect the isolator from the troller battery and remove it. The starting battery will charge normally. The troller will then be a stand-alone system whether you use a single 12 volt or dual, 24 volt system.