Removed raw water pump - rotated harmonic balancer…now what?

Ddmunden

Cadet
I had a leaking water pump so I removed the impeller casing and when I went to remove the three bolts holding the water pump onto the harmonic balancer, the whole thing rotated slightly counter clockwise. Not sure where the initial position was. Do I need to realign the harmonic balanced before installing the new water pump, and if so, how? or does it not matter that it moved during removal? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Shouldn't matter. But you may need to clock the pump assy once installed to line up the support arm from the block

Ddmunden

Cadet
Shouldn't matter. But you may need to clock the pump assy once installed to line up the support arm from the block
Thanks. I am assuming The impeller housing should rotate easily back into the position needed to get the support arm lined up regardless of where the pulley and harmonic balancer are positioned. I was just concerned that I may have screwed up the timing some how by accidentally rotating the balancer during water pump removal.

Last edited:

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thanks. I am assuming The impeller housing should rotate easily back into the position needed to get the support arm lined up regardless of where the pulley and harmonic balancer are positioned. I was just concerned that I may have screwed up the timing some how by accidentally rotating the balancer during water pump removal.
Balancer is keyed to crankshaft and needs a puller to remove

Ddmunden

Cadet
Balancer is keyed to crankshaft and needs a puller to remove
The balancer doesn't need to be removed, it just turned counter clockwise slightly when I removed the water pump, meaning the crankshaft itself turned inside the engine. I was just concerned that the balancer would need to be rotated back to its original position before I install the new water pump to avoid messing up the timing, etc. But I wasn't sure where that "initial" position was.

itsathepete

Petty Officer 1st Class
The harmonic balancer turns at the same speed as the engine. Doesn't matter that you turned it as long as you can get the pump mounted properly

Ddmunden

Cadet
Appreciate all the comments! I'll go ahead and mount the new pump to the balancer and fire it up! Thanks again.
- David