remove wax on gelcoat?

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
im going to paint my deck with awlgrip. its currently sprayed gelcoat with non-skid. dont try and convince me to stay with gelcoat, i already have the awlgrip. i know i have to use wax and grease remover before i start sanding the deck. my question is will there still be tons of wax getting in the way of my sanding, ruining the sandpaper and such??? or will the product get rid of it totally with the 2 rag technique ???????????

zool

Captain
Re: remove wax on gelcoat?

Though its called wax/grease remover, its mostly used for decontamination. Acetone will take the wax off..use the acetone 1st, then the w/g remover, then sand.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Though its called wax/grease remover, its mostly used for decontamination. Acetone will take the wax off..use the acetone 1st, then the w/g remover, then sand.

Ok .. not really the route I would go .. but use wax remover the way it was inteded for.

Acetone will not remove wax but it sure will move it around a bit :) .. just saying

YD.

zool

Captain

I think he will be ok whichever route he takes, as long as he applys it before sanding. The one designed for gel coat is for removing the release agents left on the hull from the factory process, which i believe is the wax they refer to :)

Unless hes trying to remove polish wax, which i cant understand why anyone would apply wax to the non skid deck....

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

I believe a good washing with dawn dish soap & a good scrubbing will take care of any wax on it.

LK

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

im trying to sand down my deck so i can paint it with awlgrip. it currently has 2 coats of gelcoat w/wax and the top coat has griptex in it.

jbcurt00

Staff member

You want to remove the 'wax' used in the gelcoat?

I read it to mean the boat had been WAXED, w/ carnuba, Turtle or similar, like what you'd use on a car............. That's what the wipe down w/ acetone or wash w/ soap comments were for.

Griptex is a paint additive (particularly Awlgrip) are you sure the griptex is IN Gelcoat & not in paint? I had never heard of it, but it came up from the maker of Awlgrip as a PAINT additive. May have been used in gelcoat, since I can't see what you're looking at, perhaps it was added to the gelcoat.

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i dont mean waxed with turtle wax or anything like that
u can buy gelcoat with or without wax. i believe waxed is more used for the topcoat. and yes i added griptex(for non-skid)
from what ive read it rises to the top
i am going to be repainting the deck.
will the wax and grease remover remove the wax from the surface, do i need to remove it to get the awlgrip to stick?

zool

Captain

I think the waxed gel is generally used as the top coat, as an air inhibitor, over non waxed. Not really a gel coat guy. Basically just clean the surface good, use the w/g remover, and sand. I assume youre removing the non skid and reaplying on your new topcoat. See how it goes, if you start clogging paper, you can clean it again and go on. Clean it once more before you put your awlgrip system on.

If you use a spray bottle as opposed putting it on with a rag, it goes quicker and easier, imo.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yes the Wax and Grease remover works well if you follow the wipe and off method

You still need a sandpaper profile to apply the AwlGrip.

As with any top or undercoating .. you need the proper prep.

YD.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If the boat has been used much since you applied gel coat non skid there will no wax left on the surface, if you just did the nonskid then yes there will be wax on the surface.

Wax doesn't hang around all that long on a boat, other types of finishes can though, so it depends on what was applied to it and when.

Just about any type of cleaning product used for paint prep will clean the wax off.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

If the boat has been used much since you applied gel coat non skid there will no wax left on the surface, if you just did the nonskid then yes there will be wax on the surface.

Wax doesn't hang around all that long on a boat, other types of finishes can though, so it depends on what was applied to it and when.

Just about any type of cleaning product used for paint prep will clean the wax off.

Careful there ond .. thats not actually true .. and not the right application of how you prep/sand/prep for paint mate ..

Prep is key .. sometimes PRE-prep is key for reduction of mistakes that happens in the top coats :) ..

Just sayin' is all ..

YD.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes I'm left speechless after your responses.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah me too!!!! It would Really help if he would give just a bit more detail in his responses but I guess he thinks we all are supposed to have ESP an KNOW what he means. But being an
OldDumbOkie.jpg
I don't have a clue sometimes. YD I know how to prep for paint and I understand what ondarvr is saying and agree with it but I don't understand why you think it's not true. Could/would you please take the time to give us the details?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yeah me too!!!! It would Really help if he would give just a bit more detail in his responses but I guess he thinks we all are supposed to have ESP an KNOW what he means. But being an
OldDumbOkie.jpg
I don't have a clue sometimes. YD I know how to prep for paint and I understand what ondarvr is saying and agree with it but I don't understand why you think it's not true. Could/would you please take the time to give us the details?

I agree ..

Preprep your surface ( dewax/wash before sanding ) .. sand/prep for paint. Then wash/degrease again ..start your final prep ( which in final prep is to Never touch it with your hands ( too much oil and sweat ) ).

Yea .. Ill go into how to paint and patch paint later on .. I was just just wondering if you guys just talk the talk or walk it.

Im reluctant to post in a thread where basically nothing gets answered .. I mean some things gets more questions then answers LOL ..

YD.