Remove outdrive to pull engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently bought my 1st boat, so im new to all of this. I am mechanically inclined, Do i need to remove the outdrive on my 3.7 liter to pull the engine out of the boat?
Thanks a bunch....

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Help.....

Re: Help.....

Welcome to iboats.

Can't answer your question but "HELP'' isn't a very good title for your thread, try to get a bit of your problem in the title as alot of guys won't even look at threads that say help.

Remove outdrive to pull engine? woudl get the attention you want.

Good luck.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Remove outdrive to pull engine

I have not done it on your specific motor, but i am assuming it is close to the same. this is what I did on my 350 on my bayliner.

no you should not have to remove the outdrive to pull the engine. The engine is hooked up to the outdrive like it would be to a transmission in a car. at the back of the engine where it connect to the bell housing on the outdrive, there should be a series of bolts. unbolt those, disconnect all your hoses, electrical, and motor mounts. you will then need to slide the motor forward (towards the bow) to get the spline to come out. once all that is done you should be able to lift it out.

hope this helps.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yes, you must first remove the drive.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You should remove the drive. Some engines can be wiggled out if you leave the drive on but for the time it takes just do it right and remove the drive.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, remove the trim cylinder's and the 6 mounting bolts. you can have the motor out in 1 hour if you are new to boats.

You can remove the coupler, but that is a lot harder than removing the 2 retaining bolts in the back.

Head over to the I/O forum and you will find a wealth of information.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would be interested to know what (not engine topics) means to you.

Bondo

Staff member

no you should not have to remove the outdrive to pull the engine.

Ayuh,... Sorry Dude,... You're Wrong...
Mercruisers,.. All of them, are designed to be lifted Straight Up,+ set Striaght Down....
Doing it Any other way is a short trip to Expensive Repairs...

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would be interested to know what (not engine topics) means to you.
Hey ancient mariner, Like I said, im new to this so give me a break bud.....

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have not done it on your specific motor, but i am assuming it is close to the same. this is what I did on my 350 on my bayliner.

no you should not have to remove the outdrive to pull the engine. The engine is hooked up to the outdrive like it would be to a transmission in a car. at the back of the engine where it connect to the bell housing on the outdrive, there should be a series of bolts. unbolt those, disconnect all your hoses, electrical, and motor mounts. you will then need to slide the motor forward (towards the bow) to get the spline to come out. once all that is done you should be able to lift it out.

hope this helps.
Thanks a bunch shipmate....

Bondo

Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacm1986

hope this helps.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks a bunch shipmate....

Ayuh,.... What part of Isaacm1986 being WRONG did you miss,..??..??

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You HAVE to pull the drive becuase you HAVE to realign the engine to the gimbal bearing after putting the engine in. Plus, it is way easier to pull the engine out with the drive off.

TilliamWe

Banned

eric, it is SO EASY to remove an outdrive, that once you do it, you'll feel silly for even asking the question. It'll be the easiest part of your whole project.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

eric; its not even the fact that its much easier(well it is) to remove engine with the drive off-- but as stated above you really cant do a proper install with the drive on the transom.

you asked a question that has 2 right answers. can you do it? yes.
do you want to? re-read all the above and try which ever way you think is best and let us know how it worked out for you.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

I am mechanically inclined

If this is true, get the factory service manual, the manual will state, remove the sterndrive before removing the engine. I'm positive that somewhere, someone will tell you, "I removed the engine without removing the sterndrive."
Yes, it can be accomplished without removing the sterndrive, why would you want to when the manual states otherwise? If you wait long enough, someone will tell you, "I took a sawzall to the hull, R&R'd the engine, then used JB Weld to reattach the hull." Again, why would you want to? Follow the factory maintenance manual, it will rarely let you down.

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks to everyone for helping me out on this one, well, with the exception of those who were rude as hell...You know who you are...
It was much appreciated...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... So did you pull the Drive, or Not,..??

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Eric, nobody was trying to be rude. The first answer to your question was dead wrong. Because it seemed like a shortcut that seemed to be the one you were leaning towards. You asked for help to do things the right way and unfortunately some one not qualified to give you the right answer got your attention. The guy's,in the know,had to get you on the right track. There is a lot of very experienced people here and there is a lot of people that are trying jobs for the first time without the proper instructions or manuals. Just because they got away with it they think it's the right way to do things.

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, you guys were rite, I pulled the drive last night, only took me about an half hour, MUCH easier that way, so all of you out there saying to pull the engine WITHOUT pulling the outdrive, were dead wrong. I mean it only takes a short period of time.
Like I stated before, this is the 1st time ive worked on a boat, I am very mechanically inclined and comfortable working on cars and such so I took offence to some leaving, in my eyes, rude answers. But its all good
Thanks again to all of you for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.