Remove Outdrive part of Winterization?:

murphini

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All:<br /><br />89 VIP 302 Cobra.<br /><br />This is my first time winterizing-had guy do it last year. Great posts here on the listserve. <br /><br />Have done all the winterizations tasks up to the dreaded last one:<br />1. Changed the oil<br />2. Changed the outdrive oil<br />3. Cleaned the Flame Arrestor<br />4. Fogged the engine<br />5. Drained the mainfolds/block, PSterring Cooler, which was much easier than I thought<br />6. Put some antifreeze (RV Marine in the hoses),<br />7. Dreaded question:<br />Last year I had a guy remove the outdrive and lube the gimball etc. Is that something a medium/novice like myself can do, or should it be done by someone who knows what he/(she) is doing?<br /><br />-It looks sorta straightforward of removing the 6 bolts, but not sure how to remove the trim thingies.<br /><br />-Am more concerned about putting it back on<br /><br />-Also not sure what to do when I get it off.<br /><br />-Half thinking of waiting until spring and having the bellows replaced (probably 5+ years since done) as long as it will be opened.<br /><br />SUggestions would be appreciated.

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Remove Outdrive part of Winterization?:

Holy ****e - 89 "VIP"?? Is that the same as a Citation VIP? I have the same boat if it is but have never come across anyone else with a Citation VIP. Anyway, here's a post with some info on how to build a stand for the drive removal:<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=013770 <br /><br />Per my 89 OMC manual, and removal of the outdrive is a very much required step in winterizing a Cobra. If you don't have the manual, I can post the suggested steps to removal and maintenance.

murphini

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the manual, and have read it...along with the Clymer Manual, which is just OK in my opinion.<br /><br />As any good salesperson, I am asking the hard question to as many people as I can until I hear the answer that I want...but understand it's probably wrong.<br /><br />I'll bite the bullet and have it done--and get the bellows replaced in the meantime.<br /><br />Mine is a 1989 Victory. Here is a picture from the Monster Tower site...2nd one. Red/Sparkly <br /> http://www.monstertower.com/customerphotos/index.htm

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

NICE!!! uhhh, mine didn't come with those accessories. <br /><br />I haven't pulled my drive yet, but I am learning as I go. From what I've read, if you can read a manual and operate a wrench, you should be able to pull the drive yourself. Don't know about the bellows.