Remove exhaust bellow?

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1996 5.7 mercruiser alpha one on my 21' marada. I want a little sound out of my exhaust. Don't want anything loud just a little rumble at idle. I had a fried who removed his exhaust bellow. I was thinking of doing mine as well? Any input ? Will it hurt anything? I also saw a exhaust tube. To me it looks like a bellow except one end is not attached and just open. Could I just leave the one end of my bellow attached and cut the other end a little shorter and make my own? Not sure what the difference would be..

superbenk

Commander
Re: Remove exhaust bellow?

It all sits under water, not sure it will make any difference at all.

rasbury

Seaman

I have been running my 3.o for about two years unattached but I'm trying to figure out how to get mine back on! It will discolor the back of the boat with the exhaust but the research I did says does not hurt- I think the tubes came out as a replacement to the bellows as they are such a pain to get back on.

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice

I have been running my 3.o for about two years unattached but I'm trying to figure out how to get mine back on! It will discolor the back of the boat with the exhaust but the research I did says does not hurt- I think the tubes came out as a replacement to the bellows as they are such a pain to get back on.
So I wonder if maybe the tubes or like I was thinking of leaving one end of bellow connected would help with the black exhaust issue on the back of the boat? And I'm guessing I would still get a little more sound like this, right?

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice

So I wonder if maybe the tubes or like I was thinking of leaving one end of bellow connected would help with the black exhaust issue on the back of the boat? And I'm guessing I would still get a little more sound like this, right?

Or how long is a exhaust tube? Why can't I just cut my exhaust bellow about the same length as a exhaust tube? What would be the difference??

rasbury

Seaman

if it came off the drive unit side, leave it alone....it will match up when the lower unit is in the down position making it a little quieter at idle- when you trim it up running you'll get the noise you want which is what I want to get rid of!

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice

if it came off the drive unit side, leave it alone....it will match up when the lower unit is in the down position making it a little quieter at idle- when you trim it up running you'll get the noise you want which is what I want to get rid of!
It hasn't came off. I was thinking of taking it off and cutting it or just disconnecting lower unit side. I want a little noise but not too much. I want it to sound like it does when I run it on muffs. Not too loud but idle sounds good.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Exhaust tube, bellows, or completely off, really doesn't effect anything other than noise, exhaust residue on the transom / drive and exhaust fumes in the boat, depending on boat style. The exhaust "tube" is designed so that when the drive is down, it fits nicely inside the tube to direct majority of exhaust through the prop. At idle, the sound won't change between the tube, bellows or nothing at all because it is all underwater anyway and the difference is when on plane and exhaust port is above water. Also, when trying to get on plane, if there is nothing on there, sometimes the exhaust bubbles "MAY" cause aeration of the prop problems.

Having the bellows attached on the smaller / stock engines actually provides a bit of performance increase where as the low pressure venturi effect at the prop while on plane, actually extracts the exhaust from the exhaust system, reducing the exhaust back pressure some.

There are no performance gains to be had with the mod on a 5.7L engine. Even with a stock Big Block, there are no real advantages. I tried it on mine and the noise increased considerably while on plane (Admiral was complaining), as did the exhaust fumes (see 1st Admiral comment) and performance changed not one bit to an advantage, but may have actually gone down a tad. Bellows went back on..... Noise of exhaust drone (I liked it, but was in driver's seat) and exhaust fumes for those near the back of the boat got quite annoying after a very short period.

If she aint happy...... Well, you know the saying.

Your mileage may vary.

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice

Exhaust tube, bellows, or completely off, really doesn't effect anything other than noise, exhaust residue on the transom / drive and exhaust fumes in the boat, depending on boat style. The exhaust "tube" is designed so that when the drive is down, it fits nicely inside the tube to direct majority of exhaust through the prop. At idle, the sound won't change between the tube, bellows or nothing at all because it is all underwater anyway and the difference is when on plane and exhaust port is above water. Also, when trying to get on plane, if there is nothing on there, sometimes the exhaust bubbles "MAY" cause aeration of the prop problems.

Having the bellows attached on the smaller / stock engines actually provides a bit of performance increase where as the low pressure venturi effect at the prop while on plane, actually extracts the exhaust from the exhaust system, reducing the exhaust back pressure some.

There are no performance gains to be had with the mod on a 5.7L engine. Even with a stock Big Block, there are no real advantages. I tried it on mine and the noise increased considerably while on plane (Admiral was complaining), as did the exhaust fumes (see 1st Admiral comment) and performance changed not one bit to an advantage, but may have actually gone down a tad. Bellows went back on..... Noise of exhaust drone (I liked it, but was in driver's seat) and exhaust fumes for those near the back of the boat got quite annoying after a very short period.

If she aint happy...... Well, you know the saying.

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the input! Wish there was a easy way to try it out on my boat. Without having to deal with possibly hooking the bellows back up! But after reading your comment, I think ill look into something else! Thanks