Remote Controlled Blower

Celebrity00

Recruit
Hello, first post in this forum. I have a 19-foot I/O bowrider (Merc 4.3, yr 2000, carb). Anyone ever wired their blower motor switch to operate from a remote key fob? Just like a remote starter on a car but just for the blower (not the ignition). I want to be able to start the blower from a distance a couple minutes before I get into the boat. It would probably need to have an "idiot light" on the dash too so I don't forget about it. Any safety concerns that I'm not thinking about?

alldodge

Staff member
Should not be an issue if you can get the controls. Might want it with a timer so if its accidentally energized as you walk away it won't keep running

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Make sure anything you mount in the bilge is SAE J1171 certified

Trailer boat or mored boat?

I turn my blower in when I launch the boat and tie off. When I get back from parking the truck, fire it up and go

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like it could be done but I’d feel more comfortable opening up the engine hatch and checking for fuel vapors before turning on anything electrical. I think all gas inboards should have gas vapor detectors.

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, first post in this forum. I have a 19-foot I/O bowrider (Merc 4.3, yr 2000, carb). Anyone ever wired their blower motor switch to operate from a remote key fob? Just like a remote starter on a car but just for the blower (not the ignition). I want to be able to start the blower from a distance a couple minutes before I get into the boat. It would probably need to have an "idiot light" on the dash too so I don't forget about it. Any safety concerns that I'm not thinking about?
It's doable.
Remote control modules and remotes are cheap on ebay. I would mount some kind of exterior light as well... maybe even turn the nav lights on with the remote blower... something to give you feed-back from a distance that the blower has been activated.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Just don't mount it in the engine bay. Stuff it up under the dash, and just T into the existing wires for the blower switch.