reinstalling DP SM outdrive

ratbag

Cadet
i've removed my outdrive to winterize. is there any trick or easy way to reinstall. i reinstalled it last year, but it seem like i got lucky with it slipping in all the way after twisting and turning it pushing up and down. after a 1/2 hr of trying. i have it on a home made stand and trying to slid it straignt in. the u joints always seem to move so the shaft doesn't slid straight in. any suggestions? thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: reinstalling DP SM outdrive

Did you check the engine alignment and lube the splines on the ujoint splined shaft

ratbag

Cadet

yes did that. i did notice that when i have the alignment bar in i could move the gimbal bearing a bit (not the whole bearing just the inside abit. would that make it not line up. when i'm pushing the shaft in?

Don S

If the inside of that bearing moves at all, the bearing is probably junk. Was it all rusty from water in the bellows?

ratbag

Cadet

i replace it last fall, no water or rust. its not play in it or loose. its like the angle can change if the i press on the alignment bar. i have to press pretty hard to make it move.

Don S

its like the angle can change if the i press on the alignment bar.

True, that's why the call them a gimbal bearing. Did the alignment bar go all the way into the coupler and leave about 2" of spline marks in the grease on the alignment bar?

ratbag

Cadet

yes, when i use alignment bar everythings fine. i think when i;m pushing and sliding the drive i move just enough so it doesn't line up. i've tried moving the boat up and down, to see if that would make a difference. i think if the u joints stayed staight it would slide right in. i'm going up to the boat next weekend. i have a friend who helped me last time. but it's like i said before its just luck to get in it. is it suppose to be one of those things that goes in quick or may take 3hrs.

Don S

I normally have a hoist to lift the drive, and yes the ujoints do let the shaft move around. But that is not enough to throw the gimbal bearing off. I also have put the drives on without the hoist. Bit tougher, but not impossible. Crank the bow of the boat up and down so the shaft on the drive and the gimbal bearing are about the same height. Then just set the skeg of the drive on the ground and slide it into position. 15 to 30 minutes max.
Use some oil on the two orings on the shaft. If they get grease under them, they can make it almost impossible to get the drive on the last inch or so.

ratbag

Cadet

thanks, don. sounds like a plan. i should be at the boat next week end. i'll let you know how i made out. next year i think i 'll try the hoist.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also just put the drive in gear and rotate the propshaft to align the splines on the U joint shaft with the flywheel splines.