Reinforcing Wood Swim Deck/Ladder

jeb6294

Seaman
Has anyone reinforced their swim deck with some aluminum angle?

I’m a big dude…just a bit over 300#. I’ve never been out of the boat once were on the water because I’m not sure about the ladder getting back in. As you can see, we’ve got the standard ladder and a Windland 3-step ladder. I can’t find a weight capacity, but most of the telescoping ladders like that are 350-400# and I know the deck is fine because I’ve been on it in the driveway via stepladder. I’m more concerned with the ladder being screwed into a couple slats in 3 places (one bolt hole is at the gap between slats). I’m wondering if running the bolts through some angle underneath and then screwing the angle into some of the other slats if that would shore things up.

DC75BB7C-BAF6-4FA0-A6EC-B76B5BFC8312.jpeg

alldodge

Staff member
I've got one of those 3 step telescope ladders on my cruiser, and have some frinds which push 400 and it was no issue for them. The issue is how the ladder is bolted in place. Mine goes thru 1/4 to 3/8 glass and 3/4 treated plywood behind it. There is a lot of twisting load I would think about more then the vertical load with someone coming up the ladder