Reinforcing boat hull

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawaii1982

Cadet
I am thinking of reinforcing my boat hull with an extra 3-4 oz of fiberglass mat. Will this cause a problem later on or just add to the value of a nice stout boat hull.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Reinforcing boat hull

I am thinking of reinforcing my boat hull with an extra 3-4 oz of fiberglass mat. Will this cause a problem later on or just add to the value of a nice stout boat hull.

Ayuh,... Depending on exactly what you've got in mind,...
it'll probably just add to it's weight...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You will never re-coup the money you invest......... why does it need it? Does it have soft spots?

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I guess I am wondering why you want to do this? If you are considering this option for the sake of adding strength to an already sound hull, then I am a little concerned that you may regret it down the road. Setting cost of the resin and glass aside (as well as sandpaper, fairing compound, solvants, time, etc), if there are any imperfections in the laminate you could run into an issue of having to repair cosmetic pits, chips, or blisters down the road (caused by air voids, or dry layup in the lamination itself). However, if there are areas that actually need repair, then I would address those areas only. Like the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Hope this helps.

hawaii1982

Cadet

I am mostly concerned with the sides of the hull. It seems they flex too much? When you hit the side of the boat I would prefer that "thud" instead of the "hollow" noise. Would ribs running down the side of the gunnel remedy this vs the extra fiberglass up the sides of the hull?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

This is something boat builders have to deal with all the time, "the perception of strength". A boat owner sees some flex and assumes it must be weak, although there is no sign of it being under designed or causing any other issue. So the builder over builds, or puts some kind of core in that area to stiffen it, which adds cost and weight.

Not knowing what boat you have, or anything about it, I can't say it applies in this case, but it sounds like it. If this is the case then you can stiffen the hull sides from the inside in several different ways, it won't do much for the boat, but it will make you feel better.

Now if this is a structural issue, then post some pics so we can see what the exact problem is.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

My ProCraft will flex right now is you push in certan areas of the sides and I know it's in perfect shape. My neighbors Ranger is 3 years old and it has some flex in certain areas as well.

What I'm saying is some flex isn't always a sign of repairs needed.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

You would be amazed with the flex in some boats...

Go up to a 40 footer and start leaning into some of these hulls..Flex big time..

Not saying your float is supposed to flex like some I've seen..

YD.

hawaii1982

Cadet

The hull is sound. I will probably just put some ribs every few feet or so, maybe some plywood to run down from gunnel to deck. I also wanted to put some sort of metal rub rail on the side of the boat. Is there a way to waterproof the cap on the boat so water doesnt splash up under. As you can see right now the only thing holding this cap on is rusted screws. Maybe add some aluminum rivets too?
2011-05-01 14.06.41.jpg2011-05-01 14.06.05.jpg2011-04-27 14.45.07.jpg

hawaii1982

Cadet

The hull is sound. I will probably just put some ribs every few feet or so, maybe some plywood to run down from gunnel to deck. I also wanted to put some sort of metal rub rail on the side of the boat. Is there a way to waterproof the cap on the boat so water doesnt splash up under. As you can see right now the only thing holding this cap on is rusted screws. Maybe add some aluminum rivets too?
View attachment 92031View attachment 92032View attachment 92033

also there is about an 1/4 gap in various spots around the transom template I have in there. Is this too much of a gap or can I just fill it with some peanut butter epoxy?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

View attachment 92031View attachment 92032View attachment 92033

The boat has lasted for what, maybe 30+ years and from the pics I see no problems related to weak hull sides, so what is your plan to fix it by beefing them up going to help? Put your time and money elsewhere, like into the rub rail you want, it will cost plenty.

You can add more screws or rivets, most any flexible sealant will can be used to make the joint waterproof.

You need to read some of the many other threads on this same subject, they will answer many questions you don't even know you have.

hawaii1982

Cadet

I just thought that beefing it up would ride better in the rough water.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I just thought that beefing it up would ride better in the rough water.

Nope, the flexing a bit aids is absorping the pounding of the hull. Would actually be a bit rougher ride if it was really stiffened up.

My own 62 lone star has previous hull repair and only those spots I'll be "beefing up" no leaks but piece of mind really goes a long way. Just replacing very old wood now.

Attachments

• 20210103_163222.jpg
    20210103_163222.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.