Regulator/rectifier test

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1998 johnson 130. My batteries won't charge. I start the motor ...get it to 2000 rpm and no rise in voltage to the batteries. I am FAR from an electronics expert but when I tested the RR theses are the readings I get. I know nothing about using the meter but here are the results

Meter set at 2000k.... Yellow wire I got 140 one way and -050 the other way
Yellow/gray. 200 one way and -30 the other

Meter set at 20m...... Yellow wire. -.10 one way and .15 the other
Yellow/gray. -.10 one way and .15 the other

Is the RR shot or good?

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Regulator/rectifier test

Don't waste your time toiling over meter readings on anything more complex than a bare bones rectifier.

Simply make sure all wires and connections to the unit are supplying what they should.

-good ground
-battery voltage
-good a/c from stator
-on some....voltage from key switch

if the unit doesn't charge with everything up to snuff......pitch it

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How do I test ac from stator? I know I have no dc from RR

hidef

Lieutenant

Go to page 7 of the CDI guide and follow the steps for troubleshooting charging issues. The link is in my sig.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How do I test ac from stator? I know I have no dc from RR

Measure a/c from yellow leads from stator while running. (using a/c mode on meter)

How do you know you have no DC from RR?

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So while the motor is running put meter leads on the yellow leads on the terminal block? Does it matter which leads from the meter go to what yellow wire?

When I test voltage on battery side of starter solenoid while running I get 12 volts. No rise

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So while the motor is running put meter leads on the yellow leads on the terminal block?

Yes, we'll start with that.

Does it matter which leads from the meter go to what yellow wire?

NO

When I test voltage on battery side of starter solenoid while running I get 12 volts. No rise

Just be sure you have the same reading at output lead of RR to rule out open circuit....

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hidef. I took your advice and went to that site used those directions. I got about 20 volts coming from the stator. So I test the Leads and it shows about a 3 volt difference. According to that...the RR is bad

hidef

Lieutenant

Not surprised that that the recifier / regulator is bad.

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. In hindsight I did notice less voltage on voltmeter. Do you think it's possible that a bad RR can cause rough idle?

hidef

Lieutenant

Go to page 57 of the CDI guide and start reading. It is possible that a faulty RR can also cause the engine to misfire which could cause a rough idle. These engines want the correct plugs Champion QL78YC and the correct grey inductive wires from BRP. Using wires and plugs other than what is recommended could also cause rough idling.

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's some good info...thanks again. One more question. Right before this happened it seem to die often as soon as I put it in gear......any relation?

hidef

Lieutenant

It is possible I had the RR fail on my 35 which uses the same ignition system as yours and when the RR would get hot the engine would die. I disconnected the RR from the stator (the two yellow wires) and then the engine ran fine with no more issues. You can run the engine without the RR being hooked once the engine is started it doesn't require the battery but the battery will eventually need to be charged.

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok here's the update. I put a new RR in and I'm getting about 26 volts to the batteries. According to my voltmeter on my dash board I read about 12.3 WOT on one battery. When I witch to the other I get about 13.1. When I put on both batteries it reads about 12.1. Is this because I need to charge the low battery?

hidef

Lieutenant

That sounds low to me I would check the low battery also check all of your connections make sure they are clean and tight. I see over 14 volts with my 35 at full throttle so your reading does sound low. I would verify with a good portable Volt meter.

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Batteries are new. (6 months old) I charged one totally. I'm in the process of charging the other one. I'll let you know the results after they're charged

Dawgs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK both batteries charged I get the same results from either battery. At idle I have 13 volts. When I put on some accessories the voltage will drop but then recover. I only had it up to about 3000 rpm in the slip. I haven't taken it out to open it up yet. At wot do u think it will go higher? Does this sound OK?