Registration with no serial numbers

Dan Nowlin

Recruit
I purchased a 16ft Monark boat from a guy in Northern Kentucky and I live in Ohio. Kentucky doesnt require a license plate and Ohio does. The serial number is hardly readable and I need to get the trailer registered. How can I get this taken care of with the serial number not being readable?

alldodge

Staff member
Have you tried to contact OH and ask what they need if its unreadable?

RMClark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yup, you need to talk to the DMV, or whomever is licensing boat trailers in your state.

I bought a boat/trailer two years ago from a Nebraska owner. Trailer was listed as "Homemade" on the Nebraska registration. When I registered the trailer in Iowa, they accepted that and they listed the make on the registration as "Homemade."

But, you need to ask the jurisdiction there. Your trailer is not the first in this situation, and it sure won't be the last.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Every state is different. One time I actually DID build a boat in my garage and in order to register it as homemade I had to show proof of wood, glue, paint and screw purchases.

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here in Georgia I had to get one of those metal plates issued with a serial number and notated as "homemade" even though there is a manufacturer's plate with serial number and then here is the kicker, I had to get one of the local Constables to come out and sign a form verifying that I had in fact mounted said metal serial plate to the trailer frame. This was after two other trips to the tag office and getting the wrong forms and no serial plate Our goobernment making our world better for us all LOL :rolleyes:

alldodge

Staff member
No issue hand made for me, no sherif, constable, nothing. Sent paper work in, signed off and they sent me the plate to install on my car trailer

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
No issue hand made for me, no sherif, constable, nothing. Sent paper work in, signed off and they sent me the plate to install on my car trailer
Yeah, when you have folks in the tag office that know what they are doing, down here where I am I got 5 different answers from 3 different people. The last one went to "ask her supervisor" and then everything fell into place and even with that, if I had mailed everything I STILL would be waiting on the license plate. I was told by the last one that seeing that the trailer was a 1978 model they "couldn't use the manufacturers serial number due to it not being long enough" so my factory made trailer is now tagged as a "homemade trailer"

alldodge

Staff member
The good thing with home made (at least in KY) is what its taxed at lessor value. Says mine is worth 100 for 2 axle 18ft car trailer

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
In order to be hired at a DMV office you have to show proof that your are capable of making the lives of every one of your customers miserable.

I understand how we all love to denigrate the gooberment, and in many cases its justified. But in some cases making people jump thru hoops is the right thing to do, just to deter theft. I'd hate to see my stolen boat sail next to me just to find it had a homemade tag and was now legal.

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
The good thing with home made (at least in KY) is what its taxed at lessor value. Says mine is worth 100 for 2 axle 18ft car trailer
How long has Ky required trailer plates. The boat I bought from my Uncle years ago didn't have a license plate, none of his trailers had one

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
In order to be hired at a DMV office you have to show proof that your are capable of making the lives of every one of your customers miserable.

I understand how we all love to denigrate the gooberment, and in many cases its justified. But in some cases making people jump thru hoops is the right thing to do, just to deter theft. I'd hate to see my stolen boat sail next to me just to find it had a homemade tag and was now legal.
Yes Jim, I understand theft concern over the widespread thievery out and about in our world. What I was meaning was the 1st dolt that sent me off with the wrong form, and the Constables that showed up told me it was the wrong form causing me a 2nd 30 mile round trip (and they don't pay for gas or mileage and don't answer their phones). They kept telling me the manufacturer's serial number didn't "hit" their system so the metal serial tag to be affixed was issued, Constable verified it had been installed (another story with non-emergency Sheriff's dispatch dolt). 3RD trip and a flat tire in their parking lot later I FINALLY am legal to drag my "new" homemade boat trailer in all 48 States WHEW and a WOO HOO lol