registration of a small boat

dsk

Cadet
i have a small 12' boat, do i have ot register it? it'll have a 10hp moter on it. live in ny york state

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: registration of a small boat

Howdy, DSK.<br /><br />I'm not sure about NY, but most states require any boat with an engine to be registered.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

same goes for fla. if you have a tupperwear bowl and its got a motor you must register it. i would check with the local fish and game. they will know fur sure.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Both Federal and State law require that any pleasure vessel, whether propelled wholly or in part by mechanical means, which is operated on the waters of the state of new York, be registered with the NYS Dept of Motor Vehicles. Owner of vessels which are documented exclusively for pleasure with the federal government and which operate principally within NYS, must also apply to Motor Vehicles for a registration certificate and are required to display validation stickers. The following vessels are exempt from state registration requirements: vessels operating commercially with either a U.S. or foreign document; vessels legally registered in another state (up to 90 consecutive days maximum); lifeboats (not including tenders and dinghies); competition race boats; and non mechanically propelled vessels.<br />Right from a NY State web site ;)