Registering Trailer

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I got in touch with the person I bought my boat from last fall. I originally had planned to register the trailer as Home made because he didnt have any paperwork.. i asked again about paperwork because my trailer apparently weighs 1200 pounds and now since its over 1000 i have to do all this other crap that I really dont want to do. So, he managed to find the old title certificate but its from 2013 thats the only one he could find.. is DMV gonna give me a problem since its not recent? Any input is greatly appreciated..

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ask the people that issue the titles if it can be a problem. I doubt it is since a title is issued once per owner, at the time of purchase. The seller probably bought the rig in 2013.

Your DMV has all the answers!

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the response. It’s actually just the transferable Certificate, not an actual title

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer
You're going to have to talk to the DMV as they are the only ones that can tell you as each state is different.

Last boat I bought was a challenge. Trailer was first registered in New Jersey and they didn't have titles. Tried to transfer ownership in Nevada when I bought it and they wanted a title. I had to work with the mfg to get a certificate and with New Jersey DMV (that was fun) to get an affidavit that they didn't require one. It took a while, but finally got it taken care of.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Were I live if you have no paperwork on a trailer, you take it to fish and game, they inspect and issue you a new serial number to stamp on the trailer and you go to DMV, they issue new title, Numbers and registration and you are good to go.

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Were I live if you have no paperwork on a trailer, you take it to fish and game, they inspect and issue you a new serial number to stamp on the trailer and you go to DMV, they issue new title, Numbers and registration and you are good to go.

What state is that? Also what’s fish and game haha

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
What state is that? Also what’s fish and game haha

Remember my name is (MT)boatguy, I live in Montana, Fish and Game is the agency that issues Fishing and Hunting licenses in our state, I do know that many states have DMV do the inspections on this type of stuff, so you need to call the agency that controlles the inspection and licenses in your state.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
In MD, if you have no title, your best bet is to walk away from the deal as it’s virtually impossible to get an untitled vehicle titled. Even if the vehicle is abandoned on your property. You have to surrender it to the state at your expense (I.e. towing) they auction it, at which point you can buy it back. But so can someone else. On top of that, the process can take weeks or months and there are no guarantees. And like I said, if the vehicle was abandoned on your property, when you surrender it to the state, you must agree to give up any storage fees that you may have wanted to attach to it.

GA_Boater

In MD, if you have no title, your best bet is to walk away from the deal as it’s virtually impossible to get an untitled vehicle titled. Even if the vehicle is abandoned on your property. You have to surrender it to the state at your expense (I.e. towing) they auction it, at which point you can buy it back. But so can someone else. On top of that, the process can take weeks or months and there are no guarantees. And like I said, if the vehicle was abandoned on your property, when you surrender it to the state, you must agree to give up any storage fees that you may have wanted to attach to it.

Who cares about Maryland when the OP is going to register the boat in New York? And abandonment isn't part of this either. :doh:

briangcc

Commander
Registration or Title? Which do you have? If its the registration card (fits in your wallet) is it Transferable or Non-Transferable? Transferable, you basically have the title. Non-Transferable is tied to an actual paper title (separate document which the previous owner would need to file for a lost title).

DMV can fill you in on what you will need form wise and be prepared to pay tax on the purchase. My wife tells me people forget that when they step up to her counter at the DMV.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
I was making a case that every state has different rules and regs regarding titling and registering vehicles and trailers that don’t have a title in hand. In the case of abandonment one may naturally assume the property owner takes possession with minimal fuss. In MD, that just isn’t the case. Some other states may be similar. Someone from Montana chimed in with info on Montana, yet you didn’t call them out. The OP made no mention of his location and on the mobile site, it doesn’t show locations of posters. The thread title reads “registering trailer” not “registering trailer on NY.” So it appears I’ve broken no rules to justify your belligerence. If I have, please tell me which one, or if you prefer you can pm me to discuss whatever personal grievance you hold against me.

GA_Boater

I was making a case that every state has different rules and regs regarding titling and registering vehicles and trailers that don’t have a title in hand. In the case of abandonment one may naturally assume the property owner takes possession with minimal fuss. In MD, that just isn’t the case. Some other states may be similar. Someone from Montana chimed in with info on Montana, yet you didn’t call them out. The OP made no mention of his location and on the mobile site, it doesn’t show locations of posters. The thread title reads “registering trailer” not “registering trailer on NY.” So it appears I’ve broken no rules to justify your belligerence. If I have, please tell me which one, or if you prefer you can pm me to discuss whatever personal grievance you hold against me.

Then we need another 46 posts to complete all 50 states. Go back and read MT's response - It was an answer to the OP's question.

I looked at the OP's profile for his location, it works on phones too.

To close this out, this was started a month ago with no further questions or comments from the OP. It can be surmised the problem has been resolved. I'm moderating a thread - Nothing more.

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Haha no need to argue guys 😂 i keep my boat at my families house upstate so I dont need to worry about registering the trailer yet since lake george is down the road from the house... once fall or next spring comes though i do wanna figure it out. Again this is for the trailer, not the boat.. The guy i bought the boat from was able to find an old transferable registration card from the original owner and I’m just gonna try and use that to get it registered.. says on the back “you can use this card to register vehicle” so im assuming itll work..

GA_Boater

Thanks for the update. I guess you can see why it's best to say where the trailer (or boat) will be rego'ed. :smile: