Registering for the Draft

ehenry

Commander
Do kids still have to register for the draft when they turn 18? Anybody know? My son and I were talking and he was told that its no longer mandatory. Just curious since he turns 18 this year.

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Registering for the Draft

I just heard a commercial for this on the radio, so I believe you still have to.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No draft, no registration.

ehenry

Commander

JB, I understand that there is no draft and I didnt have to register but they started making 18 year old register, I dont remember exactly when. I remember this because I one of my best friends little brother had to register. I'm not sure if this is still in effect.

spratt

Lieutenant

http://www.sss.gov/ <br /><br />Since 1980, the Selective Service System has discharged its mission of preparing to manage a draft if and when Congress and the President so direct. The House action proves that the Selective Service has gotten no such direction. That being the case, the Agency will maintain its readiness as required by law, and to register young men between the ages of 18 and 25. That mission has been reaffirmed frequently by successive Administrations and by Congress under the leadership of both parties.

spratt

Lieutenant

Definitely have to register, no doubt!!!

ehenry

Commander

So, I guess when he turns 18 he'll need to register. Is that the way what flatbottom posted reads?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> So, I guess when he turns 18 he'll need to register. Is that the way what flatbottom posted reads?
Yes EF, he will. Just called my local man and he said yes.

spratt

Lieutenant

No draft in place, but law sasy to have the men ready in case!! So no doubt of the need to register..

spratt

Lieutenant

The above post from teh Selective Service website will provide a definite answer, folks...tehre si NO DRAFT, but all young men MUST still regitser at age 18 by LAW!!!!

SpinnerBait_Nut

My man said that at the age of 18 they have to register for the "draft"<br /><br />EDIT: This by a Sgt. in the Marines

SpinnerBait_Nut

EF, you should get something in the mail about this, but if you don't, go to your local PO and pick up the paper for it.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I asked my son Carl if he registered since they mailed a form for him to send in. This was about a week after he turned 18. He said he did register.<br /><br />If that was the case, why did they send a reminder to my house that says he didn't register yet? Just another lie I caught him in. <br /><br />I wrote on the form his new address where he is staying. I also said that he was told several times that he must do this and his comment was that he wasn't going to. So I'm just curious of what they are going to do about the little liar.<br /><br />So yes, those that turn 18 MUST register for the draft. This does not mean they will be called unless it is an act from Congress. NOT the president. The president cannot and does not have the power to enact the draft, only Congress.

mvaughn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, even my younger brother, physically & mentally impaired from child birth, how ever this was 8 years ago, could have changed?

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

we do NOT have a draft, so there is nothing<br />to register for...

SpinnerBait_Nut

MY, you still have to when you turn 18, sorry, that's the law.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I hope the women have to register too! The Feminists made that bed up, now all the Sisters should have to lay in it. :rolleyes: