Refrigerator repair for 2000 Carver 404 CMY

wolfpuppy

Recruit
Our refrigerator in the galley of our 2000 Carver 404 CMY gave it up last weekend. For some time we had to keep the temperature dial turned up all the way to get any cooling at all, and now, nothing. I had a serviceman, local to Conley Bottom, Lake Cumberland, Ky, look at it and he seems to think that it may be the power supply, and maybe the compressor as well. The fix probably will be around a grand or so. That's not the problem, though.

The problem is the unit itself. It is a regular refrigerator, albiet small, with a freezer on top. Like something you would see in an apartment, maybe. Anyway, as anyone who is familiar with Carver knows, they do excellent finish work, and my galley is no exception. And that is the issue here. The unit is set against two bulkheads (port and aft side of fwd stateroom bulkhead) and the fit is right on. Additionally, there are polished trim pieces that must be removed in order to remove the unit and that is a problem. I am going to have to remove these in order to have the repair done, but I absolutely do not want to damage them! The tech who looked at the unit suggested a very small pry bar designed for small finishing nails, but, to be honest, I haven't examined the situation fully. Easter weekend was our first time onboard this year and we only realized that the 'fridge was not cooling on our last day, so I was stuck with trying to arrange a repair from home with someone I didn't really know.

There are two things that I'd like to know. One, has anyone ever had to remove a refrigerator for repair and, if so, what did you do to insure that the trim pieces weren't damaged? Secondly, I have a hardwood floor in the galley. What would you suggest one could do to prevent scratching the floor? Cardboard was suggested, but I could see a small leg or corner of the unit tearing right through cardboard; perhaps a square of hard plastic?

What I am looking for is a repair to the unit without it being obvious that the unit was dragged out and repaired. I want the finish trim to remain looking as beautiful as it does now and do not want the hardwood floor damaged. Any suggestions?

Jobless Recovery

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Refrigerator repair for 2000 Carver 404 CMY

Can't help you with the repair but I can suggest a sheet of hard plastic. I had a service man repair my fridge and I too have beautiful real wood floors. I was concerned about damage to them so when I pre-warned the repairman about the floors he brought with him this sheet of hard (but flexible) plastic about 4 X 4 and only about an 1/8th in thick. he placed it right up against the fridge and rolled the fridge right on it. Not a spot of damage to the floors.

Good luck with the repair though you may want to consider an entirely new unit (IMHO).