Reduce Slip on Aluminum Boat

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner
Re: Reduce Slip on Aluminum Boat

Opps! One last note, Changing props can be costly, especially if acceleration is the issue. More RPMs means more fuel used per mile.<br /><br />Get the hull efficient first then prop. Don't re-prop while the anchor is out.

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class

By jove I think youve got it! Your 56mph is good for your boat. Its rated for 190 because a standard formula is used based on length,width etc. It has nothing to do with speed. Sorry if I have crushed your hopes for more speed.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmm....It would have been super if someone would have brought that to everyones attention say 2 months ago or so when they all kept telling me it should go faster. I probably would have gave up this struggle if I would have known this a while ago. Some people from that posting told me thats pretty good and your probably maxed out for the hull design....but then others insisted that it should break 60 with no problems. Oh well I guess subject dropped. <br /><br /><br />Thanks anyway.

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Well, hey, I'm not so sure you can't go faster; did I miss your prop pitch? You didn't give the year of your motor. If it's a 2-stroke, your WOT should be close to 6000 rpm (and I believe Suzuki's 4S are also rated close to 6000 as well). <br />Find a cooperating prop shop and try 1" or 2" less pitch (I know, in theory, rpms increase/decrease 200 for each inch of pitch, but it's different in real life). If you can add 1000 rpm by dropping the pitch, your motor should run better anyway.<br /><br />For example, add your specifics here: http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well actually here is a link to the posting from back in the day.<br /><br /> The beginning <br /><br />You dont have to get into it if you don't want. I will accept the fact that the hull is maxed out for speed and leave it go with that as long as there is an explaination.<br /><br />The prop I currently run is a turbo 2+2 26" (4 blade) 5000 @ 58 mph (56 w/ 2 people)<br /><br />Like I said i won another turbo on ebay that is a 24" and should get me around 5400 @ 57mph or so. <br /><br />I can live with that but just wondering if there is anymore I can get.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Spego;<br /><br />Lubedude has a tracker with a 150hp merc. He started out with about 57mph, then added Mobster Tabs (for Bass Boats) and got 59 MPH with a 50% reduction in his hole shot time to plane. Then he moved from the 23 pitch prop to a 27 pitch and the hole shot went from 3 sec. to 4.5 sec. but the speed went up to 64 mph. He finaly settled on a 25 pitch, regained the 3,5 sec. hole shot and tops out now at 62 mph. Look for the Thread about two months back. Or contact him directly.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahh....the type of info I was looking for. I will check that out. Do you have the link to that thread by any chance? I will look for it and see if I can find it.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok John I did find the postings on that. You kinda have me sold. I guess you are the one that actually sells them. What is the web site I can check them out and what would you recommend for this setup? I would rather work directly with you on this if you are willing to help.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

www.NauticusInc.com<br /><br />Your best deal is here on iboats mega mall. i will be pleased to work with you on the application and performance. Call if you have specific questions (800-233-0194)<br /><br />I need to know the transom style!

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is just the traditional flat transom V bottom. The traditional style would work on it. What would I go with...the 60's or 80's though?

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

ST1290-60 will do the trick!

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cool thanks. I am thinking about askign for a christmas present!!! I will let you know though. It would not be until spring before they see water so no hurry.