redoing floors in a bass boat

sdf4647

Cadet
Hello All.
I just bought a 77 ranger bass boat 17.5 ft. The floors need to be replaced.
The question I have is should I cut were the factory joined the top to the bottom, and cut close to the floor and lift the hole top off . Or cut out the inside area in a clean manner. Any hints are welcome THANKS

Piedog

Cadet
Re: redoing floors in a bass boat

You should have metal trim and bumper that goes all the way around your boat and ends on each side of the motor. Take that rubber out of the metal trim and then you will have to drill out the pop revits and split your top from the hull oh yeah you will have to unhook all pump hose and live wells and any svrews that are in your lower floor! Repair your floor and recarpet then put your boat back together!

Last edited:

sdf4647

Cadet

Thanks for the Info. Whats your thoughts on the type of blade to use to cut.
Should I use a cutting blade on a circular saw ,or cut it with a grinder and a cutting blade. I was thinking a circular saw to keep a good edge all the way around. It seems fairly simple , I just want to do things right the first time.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

I moved your post to the right place.

Take some time and read through the restoration threads.

You will get allot of good advice here from people who have performed similar projects!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 72 ranger bass boat i am doing the same thing.

I used a skill saw and set the depth as to not cut the stringers. And then i just ripped around the edges of the deck. the deck only goes about 1/4 under where the top of the boat screw down. I was able to just pull those little pieces out after I cut out the deck.

I am planning on just throwing down some new plywood, and glassing over it.

We would love to see pics, gives us a lot better idea on how to help you out!

Welcome to Iboats!

sdf4647

Cadet

Welcome to iboats.

I moved your post to the right place.

Take some time and read through the restoration threads.

You will get allot of good advice here from people who have performed similar projects!

Thankyou !!! I am really excited now, that I'm not alone on this Rebuild. I've been reading all the threads . I can not say how helpful all this info is.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You will never find a group of more experienced anywhere then you will find in this restoration section. We will be happy to guide you along ;)