Red Tide

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So on Thursday the Admiral wanted to go fishing for her birthday(what a great wife) so we headed out. About 2-3 miles after we cleared the end of the Hudson channel we started noticing large islands of dead sea grass. After another mile there was patches of copper colored grasses and the dead fish started to appear, by the time we got out to Pasco reef #4 there where dead fish all around, the smell was horrible a both of us had or allergies kick up. Needless to say we headed back from where we came, got back into clean water and tried a few of the spots we use in the winter, needless to say with the Gulf at 90+degrees they didn't offer anything up. so we cruised down to Clearwater pass and just made a day out of it. Made stops in Tarpon Springs and New Port Richey, tried a few more spots to fish caught a few Blue stripped grunts and other small stuff. Any way just wanted to say if your planning on coming to the Gulf to fish check with the FWC on the red Tide, would hate to see someone travel any distance and then be disappointed. We still had a fun day on the water but that red tide caught us off guard

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
for about 2 months the skyway causeway caused my allergies to flare as the smell was horrendous. The beaches in Manatee and Sarasota are suffering as well as the Pinellas beaches.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yea that stuffs bad, our only real surprise was no had been reported this far north yet

DeepCMark58A

Commander
well, when you come, I know good restaurants and micro breweries we could hit.

Roos on the river is one of our favorites, oh sure there may be better places but for some reason eating on the river is better. My wife weekly asks me when are we going. Not like she doesn't spend time on the water every day at home.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Roos on the river is one of our favorites, oh sure there may be better places but for some reason eating on the river is better. My wife weekly asks me when are we going. Not like she doesn't spend time on the water every day at home.
First date with the Admiral was at the River Roo

Whiskey D's (other side of 75) has better food and better service. water is a bit skinny by boat.

Cortez Kitchen and Swordfish Grill on the ICW are also good

Sea Hut on 19 has great lakes perch. (cant eat outside in the summer due to the buzzard size mosquitos)

Im about 10-15 minutes east/other side of river (3 miles from Ft Hamer bridge) in Mill Creek

MFG1970

Cadet
I,m in Manitee County here SW Bradenton Cortez Rd.
Yes the Red Tide is and has been upon us for some time now. Horrible.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
What city is Whiskey D's in? Never heard of it or drove by it have been going down there since 2006.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
What city is Whiskey D's in? Never heard of it or drove by it have been going down there since 2006.
Ellenton,

same frontage road as Woodys River Roo, just about 1/2 mile West on the other side of 75. was built about a year or so ago.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Whiskey Joe's? I think it was under construction the last time my wife and I were down. I think we are going to forget about red tide and come down in October.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Whiskey Joe's? I think it was under construction the last time my wife and I were down. I think we are going to forget about red tide and come down in October.
youre right, for some reason I called it Whiskey D's...... LOL

could be confusing it with Joey D's chicago pan pizza

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What causes red tide anyway? I know its a type of alge or bacteria, but is it natural or due to pollution and excess fertilizer run off?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
pollution and excess fertilizer run off?
i should clarify. the k.brevis algae that causes red tide is natural. however the red tide blooms are triggered from large amounts of food for this algae, the most significant is man-made pollution and run-off

Last edited:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Headed down tomorrow won't get in till late I have a few tasks to take care of but I will find time to walk Emerson Point to see what it looks like.