Rectifier/Voltage/battery switch question

ryguy1101

Seaman
had the boat out last night and the dash gauge read the normal 13+ volts when underway as long as the battery switch was on battery 1 or ALL. If I put it to 2 only, then the whole instrument panel lit up extra bright and the voltmeter pegged at like 18-20 volts. Any ideas? I have a new rectifier diode if necessary, but I would think a bad diode would cause the same problem at any setting on the battery switch. Do I have some sort of weird short in my switch circuit? If any of you electrical pros can lend any insight to narrow my search it would be much appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rectifier/Voltage/battery switch question

You might tell us the type of motor. Some have unregulated charging systems, some are regulated.

daselbee

Commander

Saw the exact same thing once....the negative cable on the second battery was not connected. Check it out carefully.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is some sort of electrical fault in battery #2 circuit. Something is not making good connection, preventing the alternator from "seeing" the battery. If not repaired, the high voltage can damage something, including the rectifier. Remove and clean the cables shiny bright and make sure they are tight.

ryguy1101

Seaman

sorry Chris - mid-1980's V4 crossflow140. Electrical harness/ignition system has the two blue packs and 4 black coils so I believe that's one of the older generations?

ryguy1101

Seaman

Consensus seems to be it's likely just a loose connection in the Battery 2 circuit... Will check after work and post back. Hope its that simple. Thanks for the ideas.

ryguy1101

Seaman

Thanks guys. Just a loose battery terminal. Musta worked loose after banging around all day during my last dolphin trip. Feel stupid but just glad it was an easy fix and no harm was done.