Recommended PSI

MarkGarcia9981

Recruit
I've got a Sea Eagle Foldcat 375fc, the older grey version. I've taken it out a few times and it works well, hold air well, and is a great time. I've also done some modifications that I will post when finished. My question is regarding recommended PSI. I have ready a lot on overinflating/underinflating and how the boat can expand/contract as weather changes. That being said, the recommended PSI for my inflatable is 3.5, I've used a battery pack air compressor (the kind to jumpstart your car battery) that has a gauge, and also a Ryobi hand air compressor with a digital gauge, both have said that the PSI was at 3.5 when it didn't even look to be half inflated. Once inflated to where I can do the thumb test and its firm but I can comfortably push down 1/2 inch, the boat is inflated to 6-7 PSI. Lastly, I see people saying it only takes 10-15 minutes to inflate and set up a boat... It takes me at least 40 minutes to inflate, I set up while inflating but don't load it up with anything heavy, just the frame bars, seats, and casting bar, I wouldn't think that would slow down inflation necessarily (but what do I know), the pump runs the entire time. Has anyone had any issues similar to this?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Inflating to firm thumb pressure it's relative, with just 2.0 PSi inflation will achieve that condition. Need to order a good manual pressure gauge and compare its reading versus any other air pump used to check if nearly matches or readings are way apart from each other.

Once the Sib has been floating for some minutes in order for the pressure it was inflated to stabilize re inflate it to min 3.0 PSI. In plain summer don't leave the Sib beached unattended out of water, an over pressure will occur that could burst old seams...

Happy Boating

Papa-t

Seaman Apprentice
Older post I know. Just wonder what you figured out. Sea eagle sells pumps that you set to correct pressure and it turns off automatically when it reaches desired psi.

MarkGarcia9981

Recruit
Older post I know. Just wonder what you figured out. Sea eagle sells pumps that you set to correct pressure and it turns off automatically when it reaches desired psi.
Unfortunately not. Every pump that I’ve tried pretty much shows 3-4 psi before it is even halfway pumped. I’m still confused on this one and a little nervous because I modified the floor with wood planks, but now wondering if the additional weight will just add to the confusion or not.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The issue with small round cheap pressure gauges is that usually comes badly calibrated right out the factory. For a spot on pressure comparison need to check say a 3.0 PSI tube's pressure against a Professional Pressure Gauge and compare both readings, the only positive thing is that will be inflating all air chambers evenly to whatever the faulty gauge read....

Happy Boating

Papa-t

Seaman Apprentice
Here’s the two pumps sold at sea eagle.com. I have the two stage turbo. A little expensive but works really well. FC6E6515-6117-4BFA-AC45-068FFD9AB8C8.jpeg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Both electric pumps are 2 stage turbo ones. Don't get the 2 stage system, how does it work ? So both are 12 Volts with first one being powered by an extra portable battery which sounds ideal for re-inflation purposes once the combo floats on water to top their tubes to its max working air pressure once the previous pumped pressure has stabilized.

Happy Boating

Papa-t

Seaman Apprentice
The two-stage pump rapidly inflates with a high capacity turbine blower and then switch to a high pressure piston pump to pressurize the hull from 1 to 14.5 PSI. I didn’t get the one with the battery. I just use the battery on my truck.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Has the boat experienced a notorious hull deflation issues when top inflated to when floating once on water after some minutes rest or while boating. On warm days probably not, should be very notorious in cold water escenarios. Can always re-inflate to max working pressure with a hand or foot pump that handles high pressures outputs.

Happy Boating