Recommendations for a good fluid extractor for oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Hi all, I just finished this year's winterizing of my engine and boat, and I'm ready for a new fluid extractor for oil changing.

Several years ago, I purchased a Moeller 5.0 liter Fluid Extractor (the kind that extracts out of the dipstick tube). It worked OK the first couple of times I used it, but it has been a huge disappointment. After the first couple of times I used it, it began to have trouble generating enough suction to pull the oil out of the engine (even when the oil was warmed to thin it). It doesn't generate any suction; in fact, there is no resistance when pulling on the handle.

Any time I want to use it, I have to take the thing apart (not fun, since the inside is coated with dirty oil) and reassemble it, sometimes more than once, to get it to work. Even worse, it sometimes leaks extracted oil out of the T-handle (the pump's piston is connected to a hollow tube which is connected to the hollow T-handle). Needless to say, I'm tired of the hassle and mess every time I change the oil, and I'm pretty disappointed with this $90 piece of junk.

Any non-Moeller recommendations for fluid extractors? I don't really care if it's manual or powered, but I'd like something that is made better. Also, while I now wish I had installed a oil-drain hose to the oil pan a few years ago when the motor was out, I really don't plan to pull the motor to install one and there is not way I can get to the underside of engine while it's in the boat.

Do you love your fluid extractor? If so, please let me know what you use (and how long you've had it, too). Thanks in advance...

Jim

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Mine is a Mighty Vac, 'n I Love it,... use it all the time,....

alldodge

Staff member
While I do have Jabsco and have used it for years, from what I've seen of the Mityvac I like it. If something ever happens to this one I'll go with the Mityvac

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have this type. Works awesome. I foiund one similar for a lot less on ebay http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-17850-1...+oil+extractor

Any oil pump that has to draw oil up through the thin tub inserted into the dipstick tube is going to be trouble. My suggestion for people who do it that way is to install the fitting and hose that attached to the drain plug. Volvo essentially does this with their dipstick tube already so that when you attach the pump to the top of the dipstick tube, you are sucking the oil from the drain hole.

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I have a West Marine 6.5 liter manual extractor that's worked fine through 5 seasons.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Whew.... I am so glad I can easily get to my drain plug so I don't have to go thru that mess. Just seems like a real hassle but.....gotta do what ya gotta do!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I made one with a 1/2 hp motor and a gear pump. Used it for years. Then I added a remote drain kit. Now I just drop the hose out the drain hole into the oil catch basin

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
No Title

I've had this jabsco for a few years... Best thing since sliced bread... I use it for everything! Changing gear oil in my jeep and dually differentials without removing the covers... Changing oil in the boats... Pulling water off the bottom of hydraulic tanks...

It wasn't cheap but my ONLY regret was not buying it 15 years ago.... Looking back at all those POS hand pumps I bought over the years and all the times I could have used this one had I had it all along almost brings a tear lol.

I've found that good tools are soooooo worth their cost and this one is great!

Attachments

• photo233918.jpg
    photo233918.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 3

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Looks like the MightyVac or Jabsco pumps are the way to go. I wish I would have saved my $93 that I spent on the Moeller POS and just spent a bit more to get a real pump. Lesson learned...

Thanks for the replies!

Jim

oldjeep

Admiral
I can't stand fluid extractors, easier to just use the drain line that is on most newer boats to go out the transom plug and dump into a bucket. Last 2 boats I've owned have had one from the factory. Added one to my Father in-laws 04 Response last season since it didn't have one - about $30 part. Then you just pull it out, remove cap and let it drain overnight.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No Title

I use both of these. The issues crop up with the pumps when you dump them out. If you tip it to much, the oil and solvents get into the pump itself. Then they quit working, or make a mess. Also overfilling messes them up also. I've been using these almost daily for 2 years, pumping everything from bilge water, oil,deisel,gasoline,and anti freeze. Never had a problem with either one. Just like any tool, if used correctly, it'll last a long time. Also you may notice that I have clear hose on them, much easier to use as the stiff hoses that come with them are a pain to use. I only use the stiff hoses if I have to for a particular job.

Attachments

• photo233957.jpg
    photo233957.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I've had a Topsider for over 10 years and it's worked well on the engine oil changes (I made a garden hose adaptor, works much better than that little tube) and on other jobs (differentials, small engines without a mess)....

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've had the Moeller extractor for seven years and use it on two boats. No problems so far.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I've had the Moeller extractor for seven years and use it on two boats. No problems so far.

I'll sell you mine and you could have it as a backup! 😂😂😂😂

(Just kidding, mods, don't lock my topic for breaking the rule about buying/selling!)

reedcooper

Recruit
32826591_1.jpg
I just spent two weeks sucking oil out of standby generators, so I have some input.
I use a Mityvac Pneumatic Fluid Evacuator, it has hoses that either go in the dipstick hole, or on generators with oil drain hoses, fits into those hoses. It allows a very clean oil change, I even vacuum the oil out of the filters before I dispose of them. It will suck up any mess, and I vacuum the diesel I catch when changing the fuel filters. Nice and clean. For bigger machines, I use a 12V pump to get the new oil in, a lot easier than trying to pour a 5-gallon container of new oil into an engine rocker cover six feet up.

On my boat, the PO installed an oil removal pump connected to a length of 1/4" copper pipe. I stick that down the dipstick hole, turn on the pump, and Voila, all the oil is out of the engine. I find that the easiest and cleanest way. The pumps stay in place, permanently wired, I stick the copper pipe into a holder until the next time. Getting the vacuum container into the engine area is tough and hard to operate.

One thing I have found is the easier the oil change is, the more often you will do it. It's easy to procrastinate when it involves hanging by your ankles.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 3

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
One of the marinas I service has a Vacuum type they got at HF. I used it on some PWC oil changes and works great. Only draw back is ya gotta have air

Status
Not open for further replies.