Recommendations: Bazooka tube and amp questions/suggestions

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Recommendations: Bazooka tube and amp questions/suggestions

Thanks for the reply.

So basically I should devote one of the batteries to powering the amp full time?
I suppose that could work... I'll just really have to keep an eye on the battery levels and charge them accordingly, since the battery powering the amp will probably get drained every time I'm out blasting music all day. Do you think one (fully charged) battery will power a 5-channel amp for 6-8 hours?
This is the amp I bought:

Amazon.com: Planet Audio AC1800.5 MOSFET Five-Channel Power Amplifier, 300 Watts x 4, 600 Watts x 1 MAX Power: Car Electronics

I know it's cheap, but I'm on a budget and it got good reviews and seems like it will suit my needs nicely (as long as I turn it down)

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I used to run a few Planet Audio amps in my Lincoln back when I was interested in competition audio. They aren't bad amps, especially for the money. How many batteries do you have in your boat?

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have two batteries with a selector switch for 1, 2 or both.

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just run your new ~4AWG (or whatever you run, depending on length and current requirements) positive wire from one of the terminals on the back of the battery switch (pick one). That way if you kill that battery, you can always switch over to the alternate to get your boat started.

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cool, thanks guys.
It will probably be a week or two until I get around to installing everything, so be prepared for lots more n00b questions! :)

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

If you look at the pic I posted in the lower right corner are where the power lines run in to the amp panel. I ran 0awg cable from a second battery to that spot and then it splits off. I'm not saying you need to run 0 awg but you would want to run substantial cable. Fuse it at the battery and then if you split it each line needs to fused as well. For my setup the deck runs of the main battery and everything else runs off the stereo battery. I am not concerned with the deck drawing enough power to cause any issues with starting the boat, even after spending hours on the hook.