Receipes for a single man

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Receipes for a single man

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> Don't have the recipe, but when I was down under I lived for two weeks on meat pie and beer.
The staple of any self respecting single bloke.<br /><br />Heat pie (or not). Put on plate (or not). Use utensils (or not). Garnish with sauce (or not). Eat & drink while watching sports (mandatory). <br />If you're attempting to impress a lady friend you can garnish with a bayleaf. :D <br /><br />Aldo

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

A 6 course meal!!!<br />4 pack of FOSTERS and 2 meat pies.<br />yeah<br /><br />Peter

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmm. My approach is different.<br /><br />I have a few recipes for one-dish meals... stew (beef or venison), chili con carne, hearty soups.<br /><br />One day a week, on average, I make about 3 gallons of one in my 21qt stock pot. Freeze in meal size containers.<br /><br />Keep a container of each in the fridge to defrost.<br /><br />At mealtime just grab one and nuke it. Pour a glass of appropriate wine or pop open a Fosters or Heinie while nuking.<br /><br />Three minute meals. :D

oddjob

Commander

If ya really want to be thrifty. Buy some frozen buritos and foil.Disgard plastic and wrap with foil and place on the radiator of your vechicle for the ride home. Supper's ready when you get home! :D

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Receipes for a single man
+ woman<br /><br />You all eat the way I used to when I was single. Then I met and married a man who can cook. I don't know how I survived all that junk. But it sure was easy and cheap.<br />Bassy

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My new best value meal (requires Super Wal Mart nearby):<br /><br />Fresh broasted chicken: $4.00<br />Large tub of cole slaw: $2.00<br /><br />Makes 4 meals for me. I add vineger to the cole slaw to spice it up.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Here's an excellent spagetti sauce that cooks in a skillet on top of the stove in in the time it takes the pasta to boil, looks & tastes like you really know what you're doing. It's called putanesca or something like that.<br /><br />This will really impress a date.<br /><br />6 cloves of garlic, chopped<br />6 cans of whole tomatos, drained & quartered<br />can of ripe olives, whole<br />tin of anchovies, chopped<br />couple tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped<br />red pepper flakes, maybe about a teaspoon<br />capers, unless you don't like capers<br />couple of tbls olive oil<br /><br />start the water for the spaghetti<br />heat the oil in a skillet on high heat<br />toss in the garlic & saute for a few minutes<br />add the tomatoes, anchovies, capers, pepper flakes and about 3/4 of the olives, and stir<br /><br />take the sauce off the fire when the spaghetti's done, save a couple pinches of the parsley & throw the rest on top but don't stir it in<br /><br />drain the pasta & put it on serving plates<br />top it with your sauce (but don't toss it), carelessly toss the remaining olives & parsley on top & add some parmesan cheese if you like.<br /><br />include the anchovies even if you don't usually eat achovies; they're not recognizable once you're done, and they add a great salty flavor. Otherwise you might as well use Ragu.<br /><br />don't get generic store brand olives, spring for the name brand, they're worth it.<br /><br />don't use dried parsley; if you can't get fresh just leave it off.<br /><br />don't add juice from the canned tomatoes unless the sauce is getting too dry, then just add a little at a time to keep it from drying out.<br /><br />If you're cooking for a girl, don't forget a salad, garlic bread and wine. Otherwise this stuff goes great with a dark beer.<br /><br />bon appetit

NYMINUTE

Captain

6 pack of Keebler cheese and townhouse crackers, marshmellows (for my dogs) and coffee. Thank God wifey can prepare food. Before we met I was employee of the year at BK, and I didn't work there.