Receipes for a single man

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hi all,<br /><br />Being as I live on my own, I'm always on the look out for the really simple, quick, taste great type throw-it-together-fast receipes.<br /><br />I've seen a couple here lately and was wondering if anyone would like to share.<br /><br />I'll start with one of my favorites.<br /><br />Crumbed fish<br /><br />6 fillets of fish (I use whiting that I have previously filleted and 'egg n bread-crumbed', then frozen as individual fillets)<br />couple of bits of fresh broccili<br />small tin of 'baby' beet, chilled<br />frozen carrots, julienne<br /><br /><br />Cook fillets in butter (ok to go stright out of freezer into pan)<br />Nuke broccili for about 30 seconds<br />Nuke carrots for about a minute.<br />Open tin of beet and put 3 or 4 on plate.<br /><br />Total time to prepare - 4 minutes!<br /><br />Chris.............

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Receipes for a single man

bdy_hot.jpg
<br /><br />-AND-<br /><br /><br />
magad2.gif
<br /><br /><br />FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE!! :D :D :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Bread sandwich:<br /><br />Slice of bread, apply butter, fold in half, eat.<br /><br />Or even better:<br /><br />Cookie, open package, remove cookie, eat.<br /><br />And then there is cereal:<br /><br />Pour in bowl, add milk, sugar if desired, eat.<br /><br />Now you know what I eat half the time.

EFIS

Seaman Apprentice

I use the old faithfull<br /><br />"Welcome to McDonalds, may I take your order?"

Link

Rear Admiral

Hey Chris<br />As you know from past posts I LOVE to cook.<br />But when Mrs.Link or her mom isn't around.. it's called what can of chillie do I take out of the cubboard... take off the paper (learned that the hard way) :) Heat up and scoop out with crackers.. throw away can and no dishes ! :D

Link

Rear Admiral

OK Chris, you got me to feeling guilty since I didn't offer a recipe.<br />A old standby from Korea... 1984 and you can live on this..<br />I still use it from time to time. <br />One pack of Maruchan Ramen Noodles after boiling with a egg put in and then a slice of cheese witth ceyenne pepper .... good stuff!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

roscoe<br /> ya forgot the gourmet stuff like vienna sausages and crackers and the ever standard Spam :) . many ways to cook it or slice it raw and eat it.<br /> bachelor food baby :)

one more cast

Captain

Here are a few of my favorites for a quick meal.<br /> 1) cook some egg noodles, drain,put back in the pan on low heat with a little butter,add some cottage cheese, paprika,salt and pepper.Heat until cheese is melted.<br /> 2) creamed chipped beef on toast. Melt some butter in a pan,add a tablespoon +/- flour,add rinsed dried beef and milk. Heat until thickened.<br /> 3)My moms quick chili, brown some burger and chopped onion,add a can of tomato soup(add just a little water), add beans and chili powder.This makes a surprisingly good quick chili.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1-800-do you deliver ????

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Brown 2-3 lbs of ground beef. Add approapriate amounts of taco seasoning and onions etc. Take out bag of doritos or like and place handfuls on a plate. Cover with meat, shreaded cheese and place in microwave for 2-3 minutes. Remove warm chips and melted cheese from wave and cover with lettuse and sour cream and the like. Open beer, turn on espn and enjoy.<br /><br />Take remainder of the meat and place in ziplock bags in the amount of about 1/2lb each and put in freezer. You are done cooking for at least a week. You now have taco salads, make sause from jar and add meat then spread over spagetti, or taco's or just put on a bun for a meat sandwich in two minutes or less. <br /><br />Always have orange roughy in the freezer for emergency dates, its hard to screw up that fish.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1 jar of Newmans Own peach or pineapple salsa. 1 bag of tortilla chips. Only thing I know that's quicker than cereal!

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

couple frozen beef patties on the barbie, while that's thawin out, dice up 1/4 th of an onion.<br />open can of chilie start it heatin up, flip the burgers, pick a couple chilies out of the garden, grab the patties, pour on the chilie, onions, eat!<br /><br />or if it's around, some smoked salmon and cold root beer!

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

Beenie Weenies. Lived on them for years. What's that I smell?

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

One of my old standbys was Fried potatoes and onions with sausage and cheese.<br /><br />heat skillet while thourly washing 1-2potatoes (skin on)Melt butter and slice potatoes into pan add onions and brown, slice sausages and top with cheese slices. Dishes were real simple 1 knife 1 skillet and 1 fork.

gaugeguy

Captain

Don't have the recipe, but when I was down under I lived for two weeks on meat pie and beer.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

no one has mentioned the crock pot ???<br /><br />OMG ,,, <br /><br />beef roast, small potatos, carrots, celery, 2-packs of instant onion soup mix,<br /><br />in cast skillet ..... sear roast both sides..dump it all in the crock pot<br /><br />set on high in the AM ....<br /><br />... done when you get back from work.<br /><br /><br /> ;)

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Frozen burritos,couple slices of cheese,some sliced peppers(out of a jar),sour cream.<br />estimate time 3 min.

oddjob

Commander

[QUOTEno one has mentioned the crock pot ???<br /><br />OMG ,,, <br /><br />beef roast, small potatos, carrots, celery, 2-packs of instant onion soup mix,<br /><br />in cast skillet ..... sear roast both sides..dump it all in the crock pot<br /><br />set on high in the AM ....<br /><br />... done when you get back from work.<br /><br />[/quote] <br /><br /><br />Well, I agree. but these guys just want the quicky. I cook for me and my two boys. Stopped using the microwave when it broke. Remembered that you can only cook one thing at a time with that or the other sides get cold. Plus, nothing gets simmered with the microwave.<br /><br />I can make a 6 seving spiegetti ( I cheat only with one can of the readymade sauce but throw in fresh veggies also) in 30 minutes start to the table. And it WIll be piping hot...the pasta never waits..<br /><br />Heres one I got from the TV....Buy loaf of french bread, mozzarella cheese, tomato sause, meat balls (frozen). cut the top off of the bread but dont discard. hollow or form the bread into a boat.add meat balls, cheese and what it will hold and bake at....325 for 35-45min in the oven . Got a few but out of time.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be trying some and will let you know what I think. :D Here's another one that my brother likes.<br /><br />When he first saw it he said it looked like a 'Train smash' and the name has stuck.<br /><br />1lb Ground beef<br />2 teaspoons of gravy powder<br />2 teaspoon cornflour<br />cup of frozen mixed veg<br /><br />Cook beef in frying pan. When almost cooked, add gravy powder and cornflour. When thickened add frozen veg over very low heat, untill ready to serve. Really good on a couple of slices of toast.<br />Enjoy!<br /><br />Chris..........

one more cast

Captain

Heres a good one I haven't made since I was single. <br /> mix together 1 pound ground beef and 1 can drained veg-all. form into a loaf and put in a glass loaf pan.cover with catsup and microwave or bake until done.