rebuilt motor with no spark

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Brand new motor I've rebuilt myself, so I have a book. New stator, rectifier, trigger/timer base, plugs gapped correctly, wires, and coils, but same power pack. (1st mistake?) all on a 1989 175 GT crossflow. doublechecked to make sure I connected all wires properly, freshly charged battery, and tried 2 different batteries, even tried jumping it. I rebuilt it because I had the #1 piston melt itself through detonation, and before I tore the motor apart, I had spark on the #1 cylinder, but not any others. All fuses are good, so It's eiter the kill switch, or most likely the pack. only have one pack, so I can't swap them back and forth. Whats the best way to test the pack and the kill circuit? I might as well replace the pack, but its been a year, and this motor aint cheap. Thanks for any help.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: rebuilt motor with no spark

The best way to check the pak is with a peak reading volt meter. This meter would check the voltage going into the pak, as well as out of it. Some of these meter's are exspensive for limited use, but you can buy a peak reading adapter for a much lower price. Check the site at Electronic Specialties, Inc.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

it is not the emergency stop switch, because u will have no spark
only way to test power pack is buy a new one
have u tested coils yet even though they are new?
are u getting volts to the coils?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Justintime: You can test any power pak with a peak reading volt meter, what ever it's age.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

u can?
tell me what u test on it then

i know voltage coming out to coils and voltage coming in from stator and pulser

JUSTINTIME

Captain

i know on Yamaha's they have actual ohms reading u can check for

i really do not like ohms, because they vary some much

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, so how do I test the pack with a peak reading volt meter? I'm not good with electronics. I tend to stay away from them. I also have no spark on any cylinders, so how can I test the cut off switch?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

You need a service manual, along with a meter to test that system. To test the kill switch, disconnect the black-yellow stripe wire from the power pak, again! you need a manual to test through this system.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

disconnect the main harness.jump the starter ,see if yo then have sp[ark,that will isolate harness and key switch,if you have spark at that point,look at switch,then harness

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

'Brand new motor I've rebuilt myself, so I have a book'.
No that covers the fact I have a service manual. mikesea, thanks for that simple answer. I have no clue how to use a digital multimeter, or ohm meter, let alone what the symbols mean. I'm a mechanic, not a wire chaser. Are you talking about the big red connector harness? The book says to test the leads from the pack and test them with a DVA? no clue what it is. Are you saying that when I disconnect this harness, if I have spark, its either the switch or the harness?

JUSTINTIME

Captain

DVA
direct voltage adapter

electronic specitals sells one for like $40

i posted one on here u can make and works fine

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

If you don't have a clue as to how a multimeter work's, you really don't want to jump on outboard engine's. How do you manage to get anything running?

D

DJ

As mentioned, disconnect the big red plug and jump the starter, if you have spark then, then you have a wiring issue.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I disconected the big red plug, and i have absolutely nothing. The only red plug I have is for the actual engine harness, and I have no power to the starter. And to R. Johnson, just because I don't know how to use a digital multimeter, does not mean I can't get anything running. I work on military aircraft, and I know how all the systems work on it, and I can fix just about anything. There are numerous people out there that work on all sorts of things and don't know how to use a multimeter. So you cannot say that. I am trying to get my boat running, and do not appreciate you trying to say I'm stupid.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Idea is,disconnect the main harness via unplugging big red plug,that would then eliminate the key switch and harness as a prob.Take jumper cables and neg.to ground on engine block,then jump to the starter,it may be easies with plugs out ,and safty of starting. When you jump the starter,note to see if you now have spark,if you do ,then its the harness or more likly the switch.Often the switch will leak ground which is how the packs ground out to kill.Your engine should have 2 packs,its rare that both would suddeny die while your rebuilding.Make sure all grounds for the packs are good,did you get the engine to crank by jumping it out?

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have one pack. I tried a few days ago to start it, and I got a 875 cca battery 250 amp reserve marine, and i was crankin and crankin, and it started up real quick, but i had to shut it off because it scared the heck outta my 1 yr old. I couldn't get it started again, so i drained all the gas out and i'm puttin fresh gas in. when it started, it puffed out white smoke, and for the 2 seconds it ran, it didn't sputter or anything. I'll try this weekend what you said about jumpin the starter. thanks mikesea

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright, I tried disconnecting the big red cannon plug. THe motor turned over kinda slow, but it kept arcing off the jumper cables, and the sparks madi it look like 4th of july. I stopped before I fried something. I tested the key switch again, and i had a bad key switch. got a new one, and a new emergency kill switch. Stupid me cut the 3 wires on the kill switch, and 2 of them are black/yellow stripe, and one black. Terminal M has a black/yellow going to it, and the other M has 2 or 3 all black wires. Cant remember too well. On the new kill switch, it is and has 4 posts. 2 M accross from each other, and 2 C's. The small piece of paper says M=magneto C=coil. I know the black/yellow is the kill wire, and ground it out. Anyone know or think they may have a clue how to hook this kill switch up?

freddyray21

Commander

you should always make a diagram before unhooking wires if you don't have one. If you have the manual as you stated you do there will be a wiring diagram in it showing you how to hook up the key switch. If the old key switch has 4 poles you might have the wrong switch.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the book doesnt have the diagram for the kill switch in it. it stops at the connector. the kill switch is what i was asking about. its a universal.it has 2 different switches on the boat. One is the key, and the other is the emergency kill switch that you hook up to yourself.