Rebuilding Carb kits advice needed

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all, I'd like to rebuild the carbs on my '96 Evinrude 200 Oceanpro during the off season. I see OEM kits with new floats and also aftermarket kits without the floats for a little less money. Should I bother replacing the floats when rebuilding if there's nothing wrong with the old ones? Also, I've seen some aftermarket kits without floats online selling for as little as $10 each compared to the OEM at $30. Are the aftermarket kits that crappy and to be avoided or just that the OEM are overpriced? With 6 carbs to rebuild that $20 difference adds up. Thanks for your thoughts on this, Cheers

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Factory parts are not over priced.---Very little goes wrong with carburetors.----Why do you feel the need to do this.

tphoyt

Ensign
Agreed on above.
OEM is always best and worth every penny.
A lot of after market kits are junk. Crappy gaskets miss matched needles and seat and so on. Go OEM or Sierra has always been good to me.

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
OEM is always best and worth every penny.
A lot of after market kits are junk. Crappy gaskets miss matched needles and seat and so on. Go OEM or Sierra has always been good to me.
So I found the OEM kits with floats for about the same price as the Sierra kits without and will go with them. I guess it can't hurt to replace the floats while I've got them tore down.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Has stated carbs usually just clog up and simply need a good cleaning and OEM gaskets (some china stuff melts !!)
Old cork floats lasted and still last after 50 years .

Your "older" current floats won't soak up and may be even better quality than new ones.

I would leave them in and keep the new ones ... in case you have a problem in 15-20 years :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Why do you feel the carburetors need to be rebuilt / serviced ??