rebuilding a 1989 90hp johnson

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class
trying to get powerhead off...not sure of all the bolts... and also does the port head have to come off,,,theirs a bolt under the head going down,,,or do I just remove the 3 bolts up front and the 6 bolts on the side,(they look like they would be very long...tired to up load some pic...but come up invalid....powerhead has to come off for a rebuild,busted ring on # 3

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Look for some studs with nuts on the back side of the power head.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are 2 nuts at the front and 2 short bolts.-------Then the 6 long bolts and 2 nuts at the back.----Cylinder head does not need to come off.----2 small 1/4" bolts for the lower cowling too.

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok...just looked again and no studs on the back,,,but see the 6 -6" bolts and the small nuts and bolts up front.....raining now so can't do any more ...going to get it off in the morning so I can work on it inside....its a freshwater boat,so I hope those long bolts come out easy...so far every bolt was easy to break loose...thanks for info.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry but you have to remove those 2 nuts at the back !!!

Last edited:

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok thanks,got the powerhead loose,just to heavy for me to pick up...even tired pulling head to get rid of some weight....I notice something thou... the cyl.with the bused rings is very clean,not a drop of carbon on the piston,the other 3 are black but no build up for a 25 year motor...is this a sign of a water leak..the gasket on the cyl.head looks good,same as the other side...just trying to find a reason for this.....Just got back cover off and bolts down near the # 3 cyl, were very loose and gasket looked bad.....can't get crank out,don't have any small 12 point sockets..so got to stop for now....only the top piston ring busted,bottom seems good,piston is all tore up....

Last edited: