Rebound clip

jworks

Cadet
I need a rebound clip that goes on the leaf spring for a single axle trailer (4 leafs). Are they available anywhere, and if so where, and can they be installed without having to take the spring off the trailer?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I need a rebound clip that goes on the leaf spring for a single axle trailer (4 leafs). Are they available anywhere, and if so where, and can they be installed without having to take the spring off the trailer?
check your local trailer shop

jworks

Cadet
Thank you. Here is north central Alabama. I've tried a lot of those websites: Etrailers, etc. I'm thinking maybe the "rebound clip" just automatically comes with the springs and isn't sold separately. I think I may just try using a large hose clamp. It will look different, obviously, but should work. I've sent etrailers a question about that; I'll have to wait till Monday or so to get a reply. Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thank you. Here is north central Alabama. I've tried a lot of those websites: Etrailers, etc. I'm thinking maybe the "rebound clip" just automatically comes with the springs and isn't sold separately. I think I may just try using a large hose clamp. It will look different, obviously, but should work. I've sent etrailers a question about that; I'll have to wait till Monday or so to get a reply. Thanks
call them and talk to them. typically, most companies answer 100% of the phone calls and only about 2% of the emails

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Guessing you can buy them outright but every set of springs I’ve ever purchased came with factory installed clips

What happened to the original clip(s)? They typically just don’t fall off. Something happens to facilitate it.

In my case, I had two cracked leafs. No indication of a problem whatever. Removed the hanger bracket (axle) to install new bushings and two leafs fell out on the ground.

Last edited:

jworks

Cadet
Guessing you can buy them outright but every set of springs I’ve ever purchased came with factory installed clips

What happened to the original clip(s)? They typically just don’t fall off. Something happens to facilitate it.

In my case, I had two cracked leafs. No indication of a problem whatever. Removed the hanger bracket (axle) to install new bushings and two leafs fell out on the ground.

jworks

Cadet
Man thats scary; two cracked leafs and you didn't even know it? You couldn't see they were cracked?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Man thats scary; two cracked leafs and you didn't even know it? You couldn't see they were cracked?
Nope.....and who knows how long they had been cracked.

Two leafs in the middle of a 5 stack. Cracked through the hole where the center bolt passes thru the stack. Spring is more or less static in that location. Wasn't until I released the tension on the hanger that the leafs fell out.

jworks

Cadet
Nope.....and who knows how long they had been cracked.

Two leafs in the middle of a 5 stack. Cracked through the hole where the center bolt passes thru the stack. Spring is more or less static in that location. Wasn't until I released the tension on the hanger that the leafs fell out.
When I take the trailer in I'll have them check for that. Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
How about using a ubolt? That should be stronger than a hose clamp.
Alternatively, there is a pretty good trailer shop that ships parts. easternmarine dot com