Reassembly after replacing water pump

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice
I have been trying to re assemble the lower unit without much luck. Every post I have been reading describes it as tricky and I am in full agreement there. Is there any tip someone could give to get this thing back on. Ive got an '87 V6 175 Evinrude. Thanks.

dolluper

Captain
Re: Reassembly after replacing water pump

make sure it is neutral,if it is gear it's almost impossible plus you could damage your powerhead,also through some grease on the splines,make sure the splines are not pitted if so clean them up with emerycloth then grease them

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Reassembly after replacing water pump

I like to have a buddy lift the lower unit while I align everything. When the LU is coming up first reach up and makes sure the water pump is lining up with the water tube. Then as it slides up if it hangs up wiggle the flywheel a bit. After that, the next hang up will be the shift rod. Use a long screwdriver to fiddle with it. One trick I like is that on some motors the shift rod is exposed just a little below the motor pan. This is a good place to poke at it to help direct it toward the shift linkage. Note did you mess with the shift rod? Are you sure you didn’t spin it 180 so the bend is facing the wrong way?<br /><br /><br />Mac