Rear beam broken

cloumar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys,

Ever seen this before - the rear beam of a boat trailer broke in two !!!

Give me your idea ???

Mario

Attachments

• SW 1 - beam 4.JPG
    SW 1 - beam 4.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SW 2 - beam 3.JPG
    SW 2 - beam 3.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rear beam broken

It broke. What else is there to say other than have it welded and obviously reinforced so it doesn't happen again. You didn't tell us a thing about the weight of the boat, trailer manufacturer and its load capacity, and how much rust was involved.

cloumar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Silvertip,

The trailer is 2 years old - it is a REMEQ - galvanized - no rust at all - GAWR is 3520-lbs.

Boat is Princecraft SP 186 - 2007 -- 1525-lbs
+ Verado 150-hp -- 510-lbs
+ Pro Kicker 9.9 -- 96-lbs
+ elect. motor 60-lbs ( 24-volts )
+ 2 batteries 126-lbs
+ 2 batteries for both engines - 70-lbs
+ 40 gal. of gas - 240-lbs
+ trailer - 575-lbs

Most of the travel is made on highway, very few miles on dirt road and again low speed.

As for the repair - guess what, it is done and reinforced, but it shouldn't happen on 2 years old trailer that was sold part of the package by the boat manufacturer.

Mario

Shizzy

Ensign

I wonder if the transom saver caused it. Constant flexing from the weight of the outboard caused a crack that eventually spread?

The way the transom saver bracket is attached to the crossmember would cause a twisting motion.

Or the piece had a crack in it when it was bent at the factory and it just sperad and broke,

either way, I agree it shouldnt have broken.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I agree with you that it shouldn't happen but dealers package things that allow them the best profit on a sale. They do not always act in your best interest. While the dealer may have offered the rig as a package deal, that package may not have come from the boat manufacturer as a package. Few boat manufacturers actually make their own trailers. I added the things you mentioned and the total is 3202 but I'm betting there is another 100 - 200 pounds of stuff in the trailer when on the road. The transom saver being one of them (but not the cause of the failure) and a spare tire are two examples. My point being that this trailer is very close to its axle rating. I can't tell if the boat is actually sitting on the cross member but I will assume it is. Any road shock is then transferred directly to the cross member. As mentioned, any beam that is bent, on purpose or accidentally, is subject to weakening. It is my feeling this is a quality issue. While the trailer may be designed to carry the weight, how the weight is distributed and the stresses it places on the trailer may not have been carefully calculated and hence the failure. All it takes is one severe shock to break metal.

cloumar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks again Silvertip,

This is the feeling I have to - that the trailer is close to its max. rating and that it is most probably a quality issue. Had discussion with the manufacturer rep by the phone and they blame the use of the transom saver, told the guy that he knows less than me saying that.

Anyway I was more looking if others had a similar problem with a fairly new trailer.